Recommend me a cnc servive for parts production

borges1

Registered
Registered
Hey all,
i've finally got a functioning prototype of a tool i designed, which is unavailable commercially. Now i want to see if its viable to have the parts i cant realistically produce made by cnc and anodized, then assembled by me and sold as a complete tool. I know the market for this tool is pretty small, but i do think there is some need. finding out costs for outsourcing the parts that are shown in the micro adjuster is my first step. I could see having the fence/swing arm parts also made elsewhere to one degree or another, but for now i just need a recommendation for places that will do small run cnc like this. These are aluminum parts, i would like anodized, and then to be assembled by me with the STI inserts, etc. Suggestions or manufacturers? i already tried xometry, but for some reason my model exported to dxf isnt working for them. ill try to figure that out later.
thanks!

the prototype gizmo
SBF MA.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-15 085402.pngScreenshot 2024-10-15 085417.pngScreenshot 2024-10-15 085433.png
then

Not sure why you need those parts machined on a CNC? They could be easily made on a conventional mill.

I agree with Eddyde, these are easily made on manual machines in limited quantities. What is your small run quantity? You can post the drawings of the parts you want bids on in the can you make me something forum. You can also post on practical machinist in their manufacturing resource forum, plenty of machine shops there that could bid on these.

Not sure why you need those parts machined on a CNC? They could be easily made on a conventional mill.
Eddyde, i just assumed CNC would be the most cost effective. I made my prototypes on a manual mill, but im nowhere near good enough to make them as well as i would like, or fast enough to make producing a batch a reasonable proposition. Then there is the anodizing, which i want for a professional look and durablity. What i am really trying to do is find out if the tool can be made available at a viable price point.
I agree with Eddyde, these are easily made on manual machines in limited quantities. What is your small run quantity? You can post the drawings of the parts you want bids on in the can you make me something forum. You can also post on practical machinist in their manufacturing resource forum, plenty of machine shops there that could bid on these.

Ischl99, my inital run is just for a proof of concept/qality control purpose. so like 5 units. If i determine there is a market and i can make the cost within reason i'd probably do batches of 50 of something. I didn't realize people on here would entertain bids - but id love to give the business to a member! ill post there once i redraw the main fence due to a redsign. thanks.

reason being you were happy there?
Haven’t personally used but those on the forums & James Clough have been. In many cases cheaper than can be made in-house, even with the shipping. Do a search on this forum for “send cut send.”

actually looking at sendcutsend there milling parameters will not work. they use .125" bits for everything, no countersinks, taps, small screw sizes, etc. It doesn't make sense to me to have a partially completed part anodized, and shipped to me to then be tapped and drilled a bunch

For 5 units, manual is doable, but for quantities of 50, CNC should definitely be cheaper. A machine shop is going to send out the parts to get anodized, and then mark that up to you. It might be cheaper to send the parts out yourself, but if the anodizer screws up, that would be on you. If the machine shop does the anodizing, that’s on them.

A machine shop is going to send out the parts to get anodized, and then mark that up to you. It might be cheaper to send the parts out yourself, but if the anodizer screws up, that would be on you. If the machine shop does the anodizing, that’s on them.
Good to know. i assumed the larger outfits were doing most of the post processing in house. Since i am pursuing this as a business endeavor, it only makes sense to me to find a supplier that can provide a sample quantity of the actual product, then just scale up the quantity if it proves worthwhile. I would love to have these made by a member here or small shop, but unless they can do them in bigger batches cost effectively it doesn't make sense to go that route.

Back