Reclaiming ABS Pipe

While repiping my (old) house, most of the time was going back for "just one more" fitting, no left overs. Pipe, on the other hand. . . I use a lot of brass sheet for my models, use the same idea to get copper. It works just as well as brass for what I do. The technique is a little different than for plastic, not so easy as placing in the oven. But have done plastic that way many times.

Ok, so this stuff is definitely foam core. I don't think that's a big problem for most situations. Here's a piece from some 4" pipe.20220427_121816.jpg

I glued up a couple of pieces with acetone to make 1/2" thick. The long edges were cleaned up and the top skimmed with a flycutter. The ends were side milled. The glue line is visible.

20220427_135253.jpg

I milled a step about .100 deep to see what the core looks like, and tapped 1/4-20 just because. The core feels a little rougher to the touch, but doesn't look much different. The top surface in this picture is not machined.

20220427_141240.jpg

Last edited:
I am gonna have to try this.
Thanks!, I think.....

In 37 years of plumbing I've never heard of foam core ABS. PVC, yes but not abs.

Yes, Is that ABS or PVC???

"ABS DWV Cellular Core Pipe
A leading standard for Drain, Waste and Vent systems. ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) pipe is considered the standard for many types of drain, waste and vent (DWV) plumbing systems. With over 65 million feet in service, NAPCO, is a leading provider of ABS DWV Cellular Core pipe for use in combustible construction such as single-family dwellings."

I glued up a couple of full strips and machined to .50 x 2.75

20220428_105917.jpg

I'm leaning towards leaving the stock raw, then cutting pieces and gluing as needed.

Reactions: rwm
Speeds and feeds? I assume really fast on both counts, while not melting anything....?

Speeds and feeds? I assume really fast on both counts, while not melting anything....?
Sharp HSS tool in a flycutter is what I've been using for both the PE and ABS. 3.5 dia. @ 1350 rpm. Feed fast, determined by surface finish desired. The only melting problems I've had is with hole-saw type cutters when the chips won't clear.

Back