Radius Turner (0 to +4 inch RAD)

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, I all ways wanted a radius turner and just never got around to building one. My Series 5 Dumore tool post grinder was missing the number 1 and number 4 pulleys. As luck would have it, Dumore provided me the drawings. The drawings required a 4.00 radius for the crown. This now gave me a design requirement. Here is my rendition of a radius turner capable of turning an 8 inch diameter ball. The tool can do both concave and convex contours. And has a range of 0 - +4 inch radii. Needless to say, it work perfectly for this job. I also made an alignment tool to aid in setup. The tool fits over the pivot and touches off on the part.

DSC03815.JPGDSC03816.JPGDSC03817.JPGDSC03818.JPGDSC03819.JPGDSC03821.JPGDSC03823.JPG

It looks like a very stout and versatile tool.

I, for one, would like to see more detailed photos of the pivot components and the rear bits.
Is the pivot a fixed pin (welded to the base bar) or ???
Are there any bearings/bushings in the pivot or simply a close fit to the pin?
Is the rear of the tool attached to the cross slide or resting on the flat way or ???

TIA

I, for one, would like to see more detailed photos of the pivot components and the rear bits.
Is the rear of the tool attached to the cross slide or resting on the flat way or ???

TIA

1) Yes, the pivot pin is bolted from the bottom of the base.
2) No, I did not incorporate any type of special bearing. Yes, close tolerance sliding fit.
3) Yes, the base is bolted to the rear of the cross slide and a compound mounting bolt in the front.

TIA

Can we get detailed photos of the components?

Yup gentlemen, I will work on that today for ya.

I am making a mod today to pin the pivot pin stud. The stud needs to be secure so I can use a loc nut to finely adjust the pressure to minimize the play.

@RandyM

Thanks for the great photos!

one more question.... does that work-bench have custom stainless steel exhaust?

Brian

Back