Pumice Hand Cleaner

When Menards no longer sold the GoJo I switched to Fast Orange w/ pumice. Four or five squirts and a bit of Dawn works well for removing paint, oil, and grease. For simple cleanup, I just use Dawn. I recently bought a bottle of Dawn Ultra to try as it is supposed to have superior grease cutting properties. I will see......

NAPA stores have Gojo. I don't like the gritty stuff.
A cheap supply of paper towels is Sam's club.

NAPA just told me Gojo discontinued the non pumice product. NAPA and Fast Orange still do, but only Fast Orange is in the pump.

That's too bad. I liked the non-gritty stuff. It cleaned well without tearing up the hands. The pumice they use on some of the products is a bit coarse. The pumice loaded gloop is a little too gritty. Lava soap is pretty good, but you need water. The gloop sort of turned watery and was easy to wipe off with paper towels. It almost got drippy from the heat of your hands.

In the old days, I think my grandfather used soap or detergent and had boraxo or even pumice at the sink. This was in his tire shop, it worked rather well. But I don't recall the pumice being coarse, it was finer.

When I couldn't find any Gojo around, I've used detergent and Bonami scouring powder to clean my hands (in the sink). The Bonami is a fine grit with no extra junk in it, think it is just a refined version of diatomaceous earth.

Boraxo is still my favorite. Here at work, we have a hand cleaner that uses crushed shells (walnut maybe?) as the abrasive. That's better over all as it will break down instead of sitting in the pipes forever.

I developed a nasty rash about three years ago. I thought it was stress induced but it was diagnosed as contact dermatitis by biopsy. The Docs had me start using non-allergenic cleaners, starting with Cetaphil. Ladies like it 'cause it is gentle on their skin, but useless for simple dirty hands let alone grimy or greasy. They said to try Bioderma Autoderm, a lipid based cleanser. Dang, this stuff really works, better than dish soap or the Fast Orange pumice bar soap I had been using for shop hands. Not cheap, but it doesn't take much and it fits the need for an effective, non-allergenic hand clearner. I no longer use any of the orange/pumice cleaners. Still requires water. Some of the major drug stores, like Walgreens carries it, but also available online.

Attachments

• Bioderma Autoderm Clenser.jpg
    Bioderma Autoderm Clenser.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 6
My wife uses tide liquid I think, the bottles are excellent for keeping water it has a nice valve, you put it on its side and leave it. When you need to rinse just press the valve.

Attachments

• PXL_20240704_012140952.jpg
    PXL_20240704_012140952.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I use the pumice cleaner w/o water. First, I use it to scrub my hands (it does a damn good job). Second, I use a paper towel to remove most of the residue. Then, I use a clean (relatively speaking) cloth to finish removing the now dried on pumice. No more "pumice hands"!

Back