Our Friends in Florida....

I am glad to hear from everyone, wishing your families a safe recovery. Heard from my nephew he stayed at the college dorm and is okay and safe. I still have a couple friends along the central western coast that I haven't heard from.

Everyone in the affected area is in our prayers, please be safe.

on the west coast of florida, if you're on the right side of the storm, you're going to get storm surge as the winds rotate counterclockwise and push the water onto the shore. if you're on the left side it can actually push the water away from the shore. Helene parallelled the coast and thus we were all on the right side. my town, east of hwy 19 was flooded, as was Homosassa. Milton came more or less straight in from the west. everything south to a certain distance got storm surge, everything north got very little, to no storm surge.

North Lakeland here.
Lost a few shingles, trees down everywhere and fences not up to the wind gusts. We've had the wettest summer I've seen in nearly 40 years, ground was already saturated and we had well over a foot of rain over 12 hours. This was a small natural pond on the right, surrounded by a large- normally dry- retention pond for stormwater runoff. Wish I had a "before" picture, it's now one big body of water. As the retention pond dries up, maybe I can score a few nice largemouth :)....

MIlton.jpg

rain is what florida needs in the summer, since we get little in the winter. love when my grass is green vs brown in the winter. of course there is a lot more mowing in the wet season. I do have a very large and fast mower though. if it wasn't for hurricanes and tropical storms we'd have a vastly different climate. it is kinda like playing dodgeball though, except you can't move your house.

IMG_20190629_093146.jpg

Back