Opinion on Babbit vs Timken bearings

tawas23

Active User
Registered
I have a general question on which one is better ..I own a 10 Atlas with babbit bearings and really like the way it runs and cuts always though about if the Timken bearings version is better and wanted to know how that could run any better than mine ..Is the babbit bearing version better than the Timken version ??yes and no would be fine thanks

No. Having said that, back in the day when Atlas was still selling both versions, the Timken bearing model was more expensive and was described as being what you need if you had to run the spindle at high RPM for extended periods. Beyond that, so long as the bearings and spindle journals are in good condition, one works as well as the other. The babbit bearings have laminated shim packs under each end of each bearing cap. For adjustment instructions for both the babbit bearings and the thrust bearing see pages 9-11 of any MOLO (Manual of Lathe Operation) copyright 1937. The 1955 (16th Edition) and later dropped coverage of babbit bearings. For choosing the best MOLO version for your particular machine, see "MOLO History" and "MOLO to Machine Application" in the Manuals folder of the Atlas-Craftsman section of Downloads. There is a top view cross-section drawing of a babbit bearing headstock on page 11.

Babbitt bearings & shims with thrust bearings loaded radially & axially better than adjustable Timkin roller bearings that have the load spread evenly over the greater surface area radially & axially ..NO!

Think of the taper roller bearing versus Babbitt bearings thing as the difference between a model ford T and a top of the range modern BMW they both work . The Ford "T " is old and is totally outclassed by the BMW in capabilities and effectiveness. Ford T maxed at 29 MPH & nearly shook the occupants to death , the " Beemer " flies at 160 MPH & the occupants don't even know their moving .

Think of the taper roller bearing versus Babbitt bearings thing as the difference between a model ford T and a top of the range modern BMW they both work . The Ford "T " is old and is totally outclassed by the BMW in capabilities and effectiveness. Ford T maxed at 29 MPH & nearly shook the occupants to death , the " Beemer " flies at 160 MPH & the occupants don't even know their moving .

True, But I have an affection for the old iron. The first lathe I ever bought (in 1978) was a 16" by 120" LeBlond. Its a flat belt drive from the line shaft days. I'm sure it made parts for WWI. I get a feeling of history when I use it.

Karl

One thing that I forgot to mention is that Timken bearings have the advantage that if you or the PO wear or wore them out, replacing them is easily doable. Whereas replacing damaged babbit bearings isn't easy.

However, if both types are in good condition and properly adjusted, you can't tell from the finished part which type of bearings were in the lathe that made it. So if your bearings are in good condition, run it. In the home shop, the lathe will likely outlive you.

Also, download the Technical Bulletin on the Atlas 10" and early 12" headstock. Although the spindle covered is Timken, the back gears in all of the ten Craftsman models that had them are the same. And the TB covers them.

Robert D.

Me being cat curious again. I gotta know if a BMW will run a 100mph, its never going to make a 100 yrs old ? and my 90 yrs old Ford never been re babbited and still got shims
and I'm still getting .0018 clearance. If one were to trust a BMW back to 1920 it wouldnt make it, even over mud ruts never mine fuel. eh
Im not pro or con but the babitt has been a faithfull servant that passed the test of time. yes I have lathes with babbit & work just fine.

thank you all for your input.. my machine still has shims in to too..my babbit machine runs great and now I have a good idea of the differences so for home use think I will stick with this one.. thanks again

Slightly off topic I know .. So I'll go for forgiveness on this one :-

There are some old" Beemer's" in museums , from just after they started making day cars & their 100 mph track racing cars .... sadly I don't think any will yet be quite 100 yrs. old.

The oldest known form of the car I know of is a French " Buton " or similar name , I seem to recall it was made by the Renault company or it's forerunner about 125 yrs.ago & was steam driven .

It was up for grabs at ca. $ 2.9 , 000,000 USD , for the suggested /expected price at auction in the USA a while back .
Take your telephone number & multiply it by 19 to get an idea of the going prices for them at todays prices .

hello
i have used old lathes that have babbit bearings in them. they weren't a atlas but still a babbit bearing lathe. when properly set up and i found that they gave a better finish on cuts. some old timers told me it was because of the more surface area taking supporting and dampening the spindle. you can look at some of the old tool lathes most of them ran some sort of solid bearings, mostly bronze bearings. never give up on the old ways. they might be simple but they were also very practical.

stephan

hello
i have used old lathes that have babbit bearings in them. they weren't a atlas but still a babbit bearing lathe. when properly set up and i found that they gave a better finish on cuts. some old timers told me it was because of the more surface area taking supporting and dampening the spindle. you can look at some of the old tool lathes most of them ran some sort of solid bearings, mostly bronze bearings. never give up on the old ways. they might be simple but they were also very practical.

stephan

I would agree here I have worked on lathes in the past with babbit bearings and some with brass bushings both performed very well.

On a side note both the model T and most any modern car still have a babbit bearing it is just the Model T is cast them in place and then align bored the other has babbit inserts easyier to install but still a silver babbit material. I used to work on Antique cars and build High performance engines.

Back