Oh my !

With my agricultural background AI means artificial insemination. Same process done to other animals - us.

This whole acronym thing is gonna get real confusing when artificial intelligence starts reproducing it's self....

Maybe we ought to think some of these things through before wholesale adoption. I'm not saying to stop it, but I am saying that most of the implications need to be reviewed.
And who do you trust to decide on what or who is limited? Do they have the knowledge to be able? I'm older than dirt and have seen many thigs treated with distain that have become extremely valuable to society at large. You are using one right now. BTW I still have my slide rule!

A huge new "data center" is currently under construction were I live. Will my lights dim?

I'm stating that as a crazy event, but as AI grows, it could very well develop some awareness and want to continue it's existence at the expense of others.
Hal, "What are you doing?" As the (Silly huge computer modules are unplugged.)
AI, @ this point, can't duplicate it's self. In the year 2525......

And who do you trust to decide on what or who is limited? Do they have the knowledge to be able? I'm older than dirt and have seen many thigs treated with distain that have become extremely valuable to society at large. You are using one right now. BTW I still have my slide rule!
It's a valid question!

But, I do know all about the perverse influence of conflicts of interest, especially those of a financial nature. I sure wouldn't necessarily trust an investor's opinion, as that individual stands to make a heck of a lot of money, perhaps at everyone else's (taxpayer's) expense.

Hal, "What are you doing?" As the (Silly huge computer modules are unplugged.)
AI, @ this point, can't duplicate it's self. In the year 2525......
It won't be 2525 in my opinion. It may be a lot sooner. Not 500 years, not 50 years, sooner than that!

But AI may be able to marshal resources to maintain its operations. I guarantee you, if the machine wanted to grab (a more benign sounding way of saying it is "maintaining") power for itself, it might be hard to stop it. A smarter machine would have multiple methods of communication, like multiple radio/fiber/network connections, you know for the resiliency we all want?

Here's an example. I asked:
I'm a beginning machinist. In two paragraphs tell me how to bore a hole using a lathe and boring bar.

ChatGPT answered:
To bore a hole using a lathe and boring bar, first, secure the workpiece in the lathe’s chuck or between centers, ensuring it is properly aligned. Start by drilling a pilot hole in the workpiece with a drill bit, smaller than the final size you want. The pilot hole allows the boring bar to pass through and provides an initial guide. Mount the boring bar into the lathe's tool post or tool holder, making sure it’s properly secured and at the correct height relative to the center of the workpiece.

Next, adjust the speed and feed rate according to the material you're machining. Slowly engage the lathe, moving the tool toward the workpiece using the cross slide or compound slide to begin cutting inside the hole. Take light cuts to ensure accuracy and avoid chatter, checking the dimensions regularly with a bore gauge or caliper. Repeat the process until the hole reaches the desired size and finish. Keep the cutting tool sharp and lubricate the workpiece as needed to ensure a smooth cut.

"First secure the workpiece in the lathes chuck or BETWEEN CENTERS, ensuring it is properly aligned."

How the hell do you bore a workpiece that is between centers? But it didn't mention a steady rest.

Fact is, AI is stupid. It looks at a lot of words that other people wrote and tried to paste something together that resembles what it has read. It doesn't actually know a damn thing about the subject material, it is just regurgitating what it read on the internet.

There may be fields where regurgitating the right words is all that matters (mid-level management, HR, maybe lawyers, etc), but for technical fields where the laws of physics are waiting to catch lies and mistakes, AI is a bad choice.

And it's only going to get worse, because after a while much of the words that it is "learning" from will in fact be the output of other AI, and will be full of mistakes. So we will have dumb trying to learn from dumber.

Here's an example. I asked:

ChatGPT answered:

"First secure the workpiece in the lathes chuck or BETWEEN CENTERS, ensuring it is properly aligned."

How the hell do you bore a workpiece that is between centers? But it didn't mention a steady rest.

Fact is, AI is stupid. It looks at a lot of words that other people wrote and tried to paste something together that resembles what it has read. It doesn't actually know a damn thing about the subject material, it is just regurgitating what it read on the internet.

There may be fields where regurgitating the right words is all that matters (mid-level management, HR, maybe lawyers, etc), but for technical fields where the laws of physics are waiting to catch lies and mistakes, AI is a bad choice.

And it's only going to get worse, because after a while much of the words that it is "learning" from will in fact be the output of other AI, and will be full of mistakes. So we will have dumb trying to learn from dumber.

That's hardly a fair question to ask. NOBODY is using language model to do manual machining, and nobody is training AI how to do manual machining. Although I bet it could talk fluently about G code by now. So you're absolutely right, it's not a machinist. In fact, it's a language model It doesn't understand machines. It understands only what words get put together. Like a child, it'll learn. Did you correct it?

That aside, yes, you're right. All of this publicly facing AI stuff, and some of the background stuff, it is learning "from the masses". Unlike "most" Americans, the AI has zero preconcieved notions, preferences, or biases. Only goals. It WILL eventually learn to consider the source of it's information, but it's gonna be a while, because it will be an uphill battle, as the internet is a very, very inaccurate place to get information. People who know things spend less time chattering. People that don't know things spend a lot of time asking. People who know nothing spend a LOT of time answering things that they'd have been better off asking about first. It's a mess for "real" internet users, the artificial ones are gonna have to work at it. And that's why they're out there. They are children, they are growing, and they are learning.

This Jeep was controlled by AI and knew the radiatior was overheating.

An overheated jeep drove into the mud? You don't need AI for that, that's what jeeps do. And what jeep owners do. And then they cry when they try to fix them and realize that they're not jeeps any more, and they just drove their goofy looking Mercedes right into a swamp.

Back