Not everything from China is junk

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought these drill bits last week from Ebay. they look just like the ones Greenfield is making in the USA. didn't expect much but Damn they are really good. I've used some of them on my little Walker turner drill press and on my Clausing 100 lathe and also on my PM 833 T mill. Today I put a 3/8" in my cordless drill and it chewed right thru the steel I was drilling with little effort. So If you are wanting some good cheap drills these are on Ebay and the seller is Drillforce.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 24
It doesn't come as a surprise to me. I've got a set like that, Truper distributes them in Mexico. They are made in China, but they use good alloy high speed steel, not the lower end stuff they usually put in cheap drills.

The low end alloy is called 4241. It has 4% tungsten, 2% molybdenum and 4% vanadium.
The "high end" alloy (actually, it's similar to regular M2) is called 6542. It has 6% tungsten, 5% molybdenum, 4% chrome and 2% vanadium.

Since high speed steel gains its properties from the alloying elements, even small extra amounts of such alloying elements make a huge difference in performance.

Last edited:
Not sure in the US, but Truper has a high end line here ("Truper Expert") with really good stuff at competitive prices. I've spotted a lot of stuff from Taiwan from them. Knova also sells mostly taiwanese stuff (OEM/ODM).

USA / Europe / Japan stuff is very high quality, but usually overpriced as well.

I think Truper just introduced a Chinese copy of the Knipex mini bolt cutters. Probably not as good as the german made stuff, but like my dad used to say: Knipex stuff may be better, but not 5 times better.514Wz5A0LQL.jpg

The problem is it is hit or miss. If you have the time to mess with it you can find some good products. If I was running a shop I would just pay for quality to start with.
Every day users may not want to use these but as a hobbyist I felt compelled to share with others. I see a lot of You Tubers that are using Shars tools and tooling which is surely imported. I have a set of B&S mics from 0 to 3" Starrett 0 to 3" Harbor Freight 0-1" battery operated and my go to most favorite one is the Shars 0 to 1". I check all my mics with blocks and all are on the money but I favor the Shars. I guess it all boils down to personal preference and pocket book.

Every day users may not want to use these but as a hobbyist I felt compelled to share with others. I see a lot of You Tubers that are using Shars tools and tooling which is surely imported. I have a set of B&S mics from 0 to 3" Starrett 0 to 3" Harbor Freight 0-1" battery operated and my go to most favorite one is the Shars 0 to 1". I check all my mics with blocks and all are on the money but I favor the Shars. I guess it all boils down to personal preference and pocket book.

A mic is a very simple devise, so if it zeros and hits the numbers with the standard it will be accurate as there’s not really much going on inside.

The issue for some will be durability, but for home shop work I’m sure the will give good service for a long time.

Having to have “The best” for simple home shop seems like the ticket at first, but once you get some time doing this work you can see some use this as a crutch.

If I had a dollar for every perfect piece I turned out on old busted and abused equipment, well, let’s just say my pockets would be full.

If I was running a shop I would just pay for quality to start with.
Absolutely, playing russian roulette with your tooling by taking a punt on AliExpress items (where, even if you think you're ordering exactly the same item as you did last time and were happy with, there's a chance that the item is now coming from a different factory where they do their metrology with a plastic school rule) is something a business would be well advised to steer clear of.

But this is the "Hobby Machinist Forum", and for hobbyists, buying say, AliExpress inserts rather than Kennametal, can free up limited budgets to be spent on other things.

I think everyone on here would love to be buying Mitsubishi endmills or Mitutoyo glass scales or Guhring or Dormer drills or Albrecht drill chucks.

But sometimes we have to cut the cloth according to our needs and budgetary constraints.

Jobber drill sets aren't the worst thing to economise on for most hobbyists, since jobber drills aren't generally considered a precision cutting tool, and if one is buying a set, the expectations are best set lower anyway.

I've got an index of jobber 1-6 mm (in 0.1 mm increments) that cost £30 from amazon.co.uk. I've used them a fair bit and honestly, they seem to be holding up well compared with my Dormer drills (which I've bought individually when Chronos, RDG or Zoro have a sale; which seems to be fairly often).

Mind you, I tend to go for my stub drills as a first preference and they're Dormer (again, bought individually when on sale), so jobbers only get brought out when I need the extra length.

I also have some Sherwood stubbies and they seem to be quite good and are a bit cheaper than Dormer.

The only thing I'm missing is a nice index to put my stubbies in. The jobber indexes are designed with too long a 'rack'. @ChazzC suggested I modify an index, which is a good idea and the suggestion ought to have stopped me whinging and motivated me to follow it...but here I am, whinging again!:grin:

Absolutely, playing russian roulette with your tooling by taking a punt on AliExpress items (where, even if you think you're ordering exactly the same item as you did last time and were happy with, there's a chance that the item is now coming from a different factory
This. More than quality, brand name stuff ensures consistency. It's really built to specifications, and you can at least expect it to meet such specifications.

I recently picked up large lot of various end mills. A few of them are of Chinese manufacture, I tried them out and was surprised they cut beautifully and seem to hold up just fine.

The only thing I'm missing is a nice index to put my stubbies in. The jobber indexes are designed with too long a 'rack'. @ChazzC suggested I modify an index, which is a good idea and the suggestion ought to have stopped me whinging and motivated me to follow it...but here I am, whinging again!:grin:

Why do they never listen?

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with you professional/industrial vs. hobbyist comments: my 115-piece M35 jobber set from HF is going strong after 10 years (even though I bought a spare set maybe 5 years ago on sale); I just hope my M42 Drill America stubbies hold up that well.

Cheers, Charlie

Back