Noisy Atlas 10F

shed tuner

Registered
Registered
My 36" Atlas started makes this weird ringing / rubbing noise about 8 months ago, and I just can't figure out what's causing it. POsting up a few video link here so you can point me in the direction / tell me how stupid I;m being (and I don;t case, the noise it driving me mad).

I'm pretty sure it something do do with the pulley assy on the spindle, as it has the right hollow "tone". It's defo not the motor, and it's much worse on the higher speed pulleys. Backgear makes it quieter, but prob just due to the lower spindle speeds. There a little lateral play in where the pulley assy locks to the shaft via that collar to the LHS, but not much. Also the main gear on the RHS is pretty tight to the pulley too, and obviously is locked in place when not on the backgear.

My other idea is the front spindle bearing (timken) has gone bad but it feels fine and smooth.

Many thanks in advance,
JB

hi speed, no backgear:

low speed, no backgear, noisy:

low speed, backgear, a little noise:

high speed, backgeared, not bad:

I'm pretty sure it something do do with the pulley assy on the spindle, as it has the right hollow "tone".
Me too. Have you checked to make sure all the set screws are tight? I have a notion I had this noise. The smaller gear left of the pulley had set screws which had loosened enough to allow it to float.

Just a thought, but I notice in the second video that the noise seems to vary in time with the wobble in the motor belt pulley on the left side of the countershaft. Could be a clue. You might try touching a wooden stick to smooth rotating surfaces (not the gears!) to see if you can isolate the area where the sound is being produced. I would think the ringing sound in the last video is coming from a component that is rigidly mounted to something but has a thin profile that is free to vibrate. Touching a piece of wood to it could cause the ringing to stop and perhaps provide a clue.

Yup, I’ve had that same noise. As @jwmay says it’ll likely be one of the gears loosened off a bit. Can’t remember if it’s at the back gear or the front group though.

Edit: I think it’s the large gear on the front group.

I used the wooden stick trick, and levering the big front spindle gear leftwards away from the chuck (ie towards the changegears) did remove the sound. Had to be pretty firm though. Thing is, I;ve tried to loosen the little set screw, lever it back, and retighten but it just doesn't make any difference. Compared with my older 48" 10F, there is defo more play in this one. I'm seriously thinking of stripping the spindle and sticking in a big spring washer to shove it over!

As a random aside, I also just tried some 3D printed gears in the lathe... worked perfect, no signs of stress...

Last edited:
To me it sounds like the bull gear on the spindle isn't getting locked into the spindle all the way when switching between using the back gear and not using the back gear. On my 12" Atlas it takes rotating the spindle to find the slot then some good persuasion on the locking button to get it completely locked in.

yeah, I agree, but it feels like that little locking push button is seated nicely. Might need to just strip it all down and have a proper look. I doubt it's been apart in 50 years anyways. How is that button retained ? Feels like a detent of some sort ?

Back