Need Side Wheel (Surface Grider) Grinding Advice

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've never needed to grind on the side of the wheel before, now I do. I have a Norton 32A46HVBN (iirc) wheel, and also an unknown open structure ruby wheel. Trying to grind the sides of a slot about 5/8" deep. I have relieved the sides of the wheel, leaving a band about 1/4" wide at the periphery and dressed the sides and face of the wheel. The grind will start out fine, but after the first pass it will start to rub instead of cut. I've tried both wheels, no difference. I've tried increasing the infeed (DOC) a little, but since it's not cutting I don't want to get carried away.

Suggestions?

What material and hardness are you grinding? Are you using coolant?

Material is heat treated 5140, Rc 40-42. I've been grinding dry, but have spray mist available.

Face the side(s) of your remaining 1/4" at a 1.5 Deg inward taper.
This will only contact with the leading edge of the wheel, eliminating the "Rub" factor greatly, until the corner gets too worn.
Then rinse and repeat.

Is the wheel relieved enough ? Rubbing occures when to much wheel contact is made . Got a Norbide stick ? Flood coolant is best to keep the heat down also .

I have relieved the sides of the wheel, leaving a band about 1/4" wide at the periphery
Make it a sharp point on the wheel . 1/4" is way too much ! You should end up with a cross hatched finish as on a Blanchard grinder .

Face the side(s) of your remaining 1/4" at a 1.5 Deg inward taper.
This will only contact with the leading edge of the wheel, eliminating the "Rub" factor greatly, until the corner gets too worn.
Then rinse and repeat.
Suggestions on how to accomplish this without an angle dresser?

MW , you can hand dress the side with a diamond also . Relieve the wheel deeper than the slot depth . Won't hurt the wheel when going back to normal grinding as you'll dress the relief out over time . I always kept relieved wheels separate for future use .

Back