Mystery part from PM935-TS?

kb58

Registered
Registered
I went to remove the R8 spindle adaptor as I'd done a million times, and this part came out with it. For the life of me I cannot figure out where it came from. I contacted PM regarding another issue and sent along this pic, but they twice ignored my question. To anyone who has had their machine apart, what is this and where does it go? It has a small hole in the center, as if it's to restrict... something... oil maybe? Oddly, the mill continues to function perfectly fine, which makes it all the more mysterious. I've even wondered if it fell into the spindle from above, but it's so large (about 1" tall, that there's no way the draw bar could get by it to screw into the R8 adaptor.

1721925977356.png

I went to remove the R8 spindle adaptor as I'd done a million times, and this part came out with it. For the life of me I cannot figure out where it came from. I contacted PM regarding another issue and sent along this pic, but they twice ignored my question. To anyone who has had their machine apart, what is this and where does it go? It has a small hole in the center, as if it's to restrict... something... oil maybe? Oddly, the mill continues to function perfectly fine, which makes it all the more mysterious. I've even wondered if it fell into the spindle from above, but it's so large (about 1" tall, that there's no way the draw bar could get by it to screw into the R8 adaptor.

View attachment 497915
R8 index screw?

It's a surprisingly large part, maybe 1/2" in diameter. Like I said, it appeared as I was removing the R8 adaptor. I suppose it could have fallen off from somewhere else on the machine, but I don't know where it goes or what it's for. I sure don't recall ever setting something like that up on top of the draw bar area but I suppose that it's possible, with it getting knocked over and rolling into the spindle bore - but it's a complete guess.

Does your power downfeed still work? I noticed an item in the schematic that 'could' be it, but again, that is a long shot on my part.
It's a surprisingly large part, maybe 1/2" in diameter. Like I said, it appeared as I was removing the R8 adaptor. I suppose it could have fallen off from somewhere else on the machine, but I don't know where it goes or what it's for. I sure don't recall ever setting something like that up on top of the draw bar area but I suppose that it's possible, with it getting knocked over and rolling into the spindle bore - but it's a complete guess.

If that's an inch long, I'm not sure what it is either. Also, we've received no emails from you regarding this. They should go to tech@precisionmatthews.com A lot of people miss the 2nd T in matthews, so maybe that's it?

Oh I received replies - our back-and-forth exchange took place on January 3, 2024, and came from "Charlie." The other issue referred to above was a noise coming from the spindle when spinning, which was successfully tracked down to being a loose index screw, which has been removed, returning the spindle to proper operation. Anyway, the index screw thing apparently distracted Charlie from the mystery part, even after I asked about it a second time.

Rereading my first email describing the issue, I'd forgotten that I ignorantly tried pushing the mystery part back up inside the spindle bore. It was a dumb thing to do because obviously the draw bar has to pass through that area. Anyway, it was pushed back up in there and promptly vanished. As far as I know, it's still inside somewhere. I'm at a loss to understand how there's so much empty space inside, and a port large enough for it to fall out sideways enough to not hinder rotation.

And no, I do not know if my power down feed works - I never use it. Good point though, and I'll check it out.

Last edited:
When checking your power downfeed, be absolutely sure to check that the depth stop triggers the downfeed to disengage in both directions - power feeding downward AND upward. That screw looks suspiciously like one of the components in the teeter-totter tripping release for the PDF.

When checking your power downfeed, be absolutely sure to check that the depth stop triggers the downfeed to disengage in both directions - power feeding downward AND upward. That screw looks suspiciously like one of the components in the teeter-totter tripping release for the PDF.
That's the first thing I thought of, but it's way too large at 1 x .5 inches.

Back