Multifix qctp holders a big benefit over wedge type?

I just bought a G4003. What size Multifix do you use? Did you put a DRO on the G4003g?
Best,

Ian

Hey Ian. Congrats on the G4003G! I have the "A" series from Create Tool. No problems after all this time. I'm happy I went with this over the standard Aloris type QCTP setup. Yes, I did install a Sino dro on my G4003G. I did the cross slide a few years ago and actually yesterday started, again, on the Z axis scale install. The back of my G4003G's bed is wavy and slanted which drove me nuts every install attempt. However I found out about spherical washers and yesterday finally managed to get my scale's mount within 0.003" across 34" using them and some shims. I will also use 4mm spherical washers to mount the read head. Was hoping to finish it today but life got in the way. Ha

Ps... I went with the Create Tool Multifix due to reading a lot of good reviews and guys being happy with them. At the time Pee Wee were too $$ compared to the Create and I read some complaints about Peewees stuff over on another forum. Maybe he's got an American supplier now, idk, but I'm perfectly happy with the Create Tool version.

Last edited:
Hey Ian. Congrats on the G4003G! I have the "A" series from Create Tool. No problems after all this time. I'm happy I went with this over the standard Aloris type QCTP setup. Yes, I did install a Sino dro on my G4003G. I did the cross slide a few years ago and actually yesterday started, again, on the Z axis scale install. The back of my G4003G's bed is wavy and slanted which drove me nuts every install attempt. However I found out about spherical washers and yesterday finally managed to get my scale's mount within 0.003" across 34" using them and some shims. I will also use 4mm spherical washers to mount the read head. Was hoping to finish it today but life got in the way. Ha

Ps... I went with the Create Tool Multifix due to reading a lot of good reviews and guys being happy with them. At the time Pee Wee were too $$ compared to the Create and I read some complaints about Peewees stuff over on another forum. Maybe he's got an American supplier now, idk, but I'm perfectly happy with the Create Tool version.
Splat!
Thank you for responding. I actually cheaped out and bought the G4003. It was on a sale for 3,600. Seems too high given that most people were able to pick up this lathe a lot cheaper just a few years ago. I will be putting this on a big bench that and will need to see how I will be able to level it out. I think I have seen guys put these on some sort of mount that can level it on the bench. I reached out to create tools to see if they can get something going. For the DRO install, I am a little nervous about screwing it up!! This will be the second lathe. I have a SC4 from LMS that needs a solid tool post mount after a crash. Did you get a collet chuck for the G4003G? Once again, Thank You!!!

For the DRO install, I am a little nervous about screwing it up!!
Don't worry about the install. A DRO install on a lathe isn't that difficult. Even my blundering self managed to do it.

Hardest part is selecting a scale that fits on the cross slide. Recommend a 1um scale on X (cross slide), and 5um on Z (spindle axis). The brackets supplied with scales often are junk, so you may need to fab something, but it isn't difficult to come up with something that works. I bought scales from Aliexpress at a pretty good discount, but there are other inexpensive sources as well, including direct sales from the manufacturers. If you have questions on an install, start up your own thread on the subject on HM and you will get a lot of help. I ended up 3d printing a bracket for the cross slide read head. I've been waiting for it to fail, but surprisingly it is working out quite well. At this point, if I fails, I think I'd just print another one, rather than machining it in metal.

The cross slide install will REALLY test your patience. o_O The Z-axis is easier. I drilled and tapped the lathe body as perpendicular as I could with a guide. Then I used spherical washers to affix the scale bracket to the lathe. I also used spherical washers to secure the read head to its bracket. You still need to eliminate slop and angularities but these washers really help.

Wobblyhand, would you mind sharing your cross slide bracket 3d plans? I'd love to see it. Thanks.

Last edited:
The cross slide install will REALLY test your patience. o_O The Z-axis is easier. I drilled and tapped the lathe body as perpendicular as I could with a guide. Then I used spherical washers to affix the scale bracket to the lathe. I also used spherical washers to secure the read head to its bracket. You still need to eliminate slop and angularities but these washers really help.

Wobblyhand, would you mind sharing your cross slide bracket 3d plans? I'd love to see it. Thanks.
Well... This does seem like a pain! I really appreciate the guidance! The spherical washers are a great idea. The last thing I 3d printed was a chip clip out of the bambu. I keep that in the basement and need to take one of those design classes so I can make these extra brackets and items. Not using that thing to its potential!!! I'm an accountant by day! Splat did you machine a new bolt for the multifix?

I don't know that it would be very useful to you, since I designed it for my Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe. So it's a strange shape that just fits in the space. I designed the read head holder as if I would machine it, but then decided to print it. Actually I printed the long slide bracket for testing, then machined it from aluminum. Here are some drawings.

Attachments

• x_dro_readhead_bracket.pdf
    355 KB · Views: 3
  • x_glass_scale_body_bracket_1.pdf
    338.3 KB · Views: 3
  • x_glass_scale_body_bracket_2.pdf
    378.5 KB · Views: 2
Back