Mr Pete222

Grinderman

Registered
Registered
What happened to Lyle this morning? He always posts a new video Saturday morning

Hopefully nothing of course. As I understand it, he doesn't actually upload videos every Sat or whatever. They are uploaded ahead of time & he has them set to release when he wants. That's why you will hear him talk about having "videos in the queue".

True , but he always releases a new one Saturday mornings. Hope he is well

He schedules them I believe, Because I have been on and at 5am have seen new releases, which being an hour behind means 4am in ILL.

Mr Pete used to average 100k or more views many years ago. Then 30k a few years ago. Now about 5-6k..
it used to be somewhere between30k and 200k I see .. It varied depending on the topic. I can understand his discouragement.

Mr Pete used to average 100k or more views many years ago. Then 30k a few years ago. Now about 5-6k..
it used to be somewhere between30k and 200k I see .. It varied depending on the topic. I can understand his discouragement.
I’ve watched a majority of his videos over the years and learned a LOT from him. However, now that I’ve gotten bigger machines and into using carbide inserts his content just doesn’t fit me as well as it used to.

Also, the extra ads that YouTube now puts on are a pain in the rear.

I don’t watch all of Lyle’s videos, but I watch a lot of them. I suspect he rode a wave of novice hobbyist interest in the earlier days of YouTube, and now he’s running out of viewers looking for a shop teacher who jokes a lot about dirt naps.

I just won several recent Petebay auction lots and corresponded with him last week.

Rick “not quite comfortable with dirt nap jokes” Denney

I don’t watch all of Lyle’s videos, but I watch a lot of them. I suspect he rode a wave of novice hobbyist interest in the earlier days of YouTube, and now he’s running out of viewers looking for a shop teacher who jokes a lot about dirt naps.

I just won several recent Petebay auction lots and corresponded with him last week.

Rick “not quite comfortable with dirt nap jokes” Denney
Yep, I think all long running 'traditional technical skills tutorial' youtubers kind of have to see what they do as setting up an archive of education.

Sooner or later, they're going to run out of subjects that are suitable for youtube tutorials. By that I'm talking about the basic to intermediate tutorials.

Okay they can then move on to multi-part project tutorials, like building a steam engine or making the control assembly for an RC aircraft or the like; making tooling or modifying/upgrading machines Is another reasonably fertile plain to plough.

But even then, there's a limit to the content that's going to have mass appeal (and mass appeal within the niche that the audience of a given youtuber inhabits).

If I'm looking to learn about a particular technique or operation, Mr Pete's channel is one of the first I'll search, along with Joe Pie and Blondihacks (neither of whom are keen on the other, I gather!:grin:). Then I'll take a look at the 7x guys for any qualifiers more specific to the capabilities of my machine.

But that's about their back-catalogue. I sub to a quite a few machinist youtubers (and even support a handful on patreon; hey, they have to fund their substance abuse somehow; they're celebs; it's inevitable :grin:) but apart from Blondihacks and ToT, I don't rush to watch any new content unless it specifically speaks to something I have a particular interest in or matches up with what I'm doing right now.

Okay, MrPete is a bit of an exception, I'll alway try to watch most of the videos he puts out since I subbed and give them a 'like' because I reckon he deserves the support. If he'd ship internationally, I'd have a go at PeteBay too (although, my wallet is grateful he doesn't).

Still and all, given how long he's been going, I kinda think MrPete is mining a diminishing seam.

I'd never suggest this to MrPete (got to show some respect and besides, it would probably tip him over into the grave!:eek::oops::frown:) but I have considered suggesting to one or other of the more established experienced/skilled machinist youtubers (one of those that uses and is used to proper old iron), that they buy a Chinese 7x from one of the reputable importers and do a series on their version of fettling, upgrading and getting the most out of it. A warts and all series of videos.

Sometimes putting a skilled and experienced engineer up against those kind of constraints can make for excellent entertainment and give extra insight into techniques that your average beginner-machinist-turned-youtuber (who are the people that mostly account for the mini lathe upgrade videos on YouTube) won't provide.

Back