Milling Machines: Old Bridgeport or new Jet?

Just to clarify the thread. For a new Jet Bridgeport clone you are looking at $9000. So with that dollar amount you could look for a used completely rebuilt Bridgeport with much tooling. Even do a national search, I think there are a few places that rebuild Bridgeports and with shipping to your house still come in within the 9K so you could get a near perfect used one.

If the OP has $7-8K to drop on a mill the field should be wide open to find a nice condition BP.
Iir I paid 5k for my 1980 2J VS 9x48 w 2 axis Newall DRO servo power feed original paint no "bonus features" on table etc. RBeckett was pretty spot on as to where to find one in good shape too. Mine came out of a vo-tech school that was shuttering the industrial arts dept., fools they are.
Parts availability both OE and ebay etc.
Resale value.

Emilio,
There has been lots of great advice and opinions given thus far. But what has not been asked is what do you plan to use the mill for? My advice was based on my situation as using a mill in my profession...perhaps not so relevant to your requirements. A dro will make up for a lot of sins on a mill. As with all machine tools, the support tooling will ultimately surpass the original cost of a machine. So depending on your requirements a lower cost machine that leaves money to buy the needed tooling is certainly a economic advantage. It is obvious reading all the posts that geography can play a huge part in machine buying. Here in the Pacific N/W Bridgeports only turn up rarely and the prices range from $3000.00 for a worn out one, to one for $10,00.00 recently ( a very nice one). If you live in the land of $800.00 to $1200.00 machines that will do the job required, no need to spend what a new Jet retails for. Good luck with your search.

Regards
Darrell

I assume that you're a hobbiest like myself. So a few questions need to be answered:
1. How often will I use my mill? If not daily, consider a used mill.
2. If I ran into hard times, can I get most of my money back if I need to sell my mill? A new mill is an instant money loss.
3. Is buying a mill for my hobby? If yes, get the BP. The "feel" of a vintage machine is much more satisfying than a new one.

Times are still tough. There's a lot of bargains out there. Currently they're 2 BP mills on my local CL, one for 3300$ & one for 2500$.

Also, I bought my 1938 Cincinnati combo mill in a pick, for a lot cheaper than a new Jet mill. What's great about my vintage mill is that it's a hoot to run, and it makes chips the same as a new mill.

I'm not saying anything against the Jet mill. I like to use the late model one at work. My advise is to consider the long term financial consequences for yourself.

Please write a follow up post on what you buy.

Happy Trails!

Hard to tell a guy not to buy an import machine on a forum comprised of at least 50% imported machines.

We have old bridgeports, not that old of bridgeport's, and brand new Sharps. I'd take the sharps every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Unless you find a really sweet deal. A like new kinda machine. Because if not, every time it makes a sound, or shakes, or does any "used" machine crap, your gonna think "I should have got a new one"

Not to say there are not awesome deals. But your gonna have to put in work. It aint gonna be a "go get the first one" kinda deal unless your just lucky.

If I had 8k for the used market, I would not be looking for a manual mill at all or certainly not a bridgeport. Your into some decent little cnc price range there

I own a bridgeport as well.

I don't have much to add - the options have been pretty well hashed out. My contribution is related to timing and availability. Out here in Washington there just aren't that many BPs for sale that aren't pretty clapped out - I was more interested in building my hobby projects than taking on a big restoration project before I can even make chips.

I bought my new Jet from the Jet outlet store that 18W mentioned - it had a mislocated index mark on the head, and that's all I could find wrong with it. I got the machine for half price, due to that simple thing. The calibration test card that came with it shows very good specs, and I've had no issues with it so far. I also bought a scratch and dent 14x40 lathe from them; it had some dents in the backsplash and some beat up paint in a couple places, but no mechanical damage at all.

As a result - I have both a nice new lathe and mill, for under $7K.

This company ships all over the US, and they are the sole distributor of "scratch and dent" machines. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you their contact info - I'm not sure if I can post that on the forum.

Thank you all for the excellent comments and advice.
I'm a budding inventor and artist. I am also starting my own
business where I will be designing and making tools and equipment
for pro artists. I also like to make my own tools for my job. I work as
a mold maker and I do special effects for film and TV. I will look at
older used BP's and others then decide.
Thank you all.

Back