Milling Machines: Old Bridgeport or new Jet?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm shopping for a milling machine. Do you think an old BP is better than a new Jet?
What do you recommend? Thanks

If you can find a BP in good shape at a fair price That would be my choice.

Your circus, your monkeys....but I bought a 1969 Bridgeport. Buying a Taiwanese or Chinese mill wasn't gonna happen.

Ray

I think it depends. I have a late 70's Bridgeport at home that I looked a long time for. Where I work we have a Jet 9x42 that was bought new. There isn't anything I can do on the Bridgeport that I can't on the Jet. Will I be able to get parts for the BP 10 years from now? you betcha. The Jet? Who knows. The question is will you need parts using the mill in a home shop? Out here Bridgeports command silly prices and we have the luxury of having a Jet surplus outlet where they have great buys on scratch and dent models. Would I pay list for any new Jet if I could find a BP in good shape? Never. It comes down to availability, price, and whether you want to be able to use it versus having to fix it first. Remember there are vertical mills that will run circles around a BP or Jet. You could look for a used Wells Index or Lagun for example. If looking for used I wouldn't limit myself to a BP.

Darrell

All depends on the price and condition of the bridge. If it is old and shows a lot of wear and tear it will probably need a complete overhaul, scraping, Blanchard grind on the table, new bearings and new gears. These items add up quickly in both dollars and time. A Taiwanese machine like a Precision Mathews or similar caliber supplier will yield a ready to break-in and run machine with a warranty and lots of modern features that were considered add-ons and were expensive luxuries when the Bridgy was new. So I would look closely at the Bridgeport and make sure you are not buying a headache and a future resentment for not going ahead and getting a new machine to begin with. A lot also depends on exactly what you plan to do with the mill once you have it n your shop. Unless you are one of those extremely lucky few who can afford to buy one, just to have around in case something comes along or you get involved in a project of some kind. The best places I have found for used Bridgeports and machining equipment in general are old High School shop class machines they are getting rid of, followed by University engineering school surplus equipment and finally the once in a while old codger like me who has one they decided they just don't need anymore because Momma wants to park her car in that side of the garage, or an estate sale too.

Hope this helps!!!
Bob

I have a 1986 Taiwan made Bridgewood Bridgeport clone that I have been so pleased with,I haven't bothered to change it when good Bridgeports have become available over the years. After all,Bridgeports are made in Singapore,aren't they?

Spare parts for the real Bridgeport would be a definite advantage. But,the real determining factor would be how worn the Bridgeport is.

I do not advise buying a CHINESE mainland machine. I bought one for where I worked,and had to send it back. The table is supposed to be a little high in the front,but the Chinese one was WAY too high. Only go with a Taiwan made one if you can't find a good B.P..

Last edited:
I'm responsible for repairing the mills at our school machine shop. We have 7 BP's and 2 Enco's which were probably built in the same country as the Jets. Both of the other instructors who are both experienced journeyman machinists and I agree that we would rather use an old worn out BP than a new Asian built mill regardless of the nameplate, Jet Enco or whatever. I can change a belt on a variable speed BP in less than 1 hour. It took 2 of us 4 hours to change the belt on an Enco and I had to make a few special tools to do the job and that's just one example of a comparison. They may look the same but quality and internal design is lacking in Asian machines.

If price were same so no consideration there I would go with the brand new Jet. We have a machine shop with new models on the floor to see and the Jet looks like it was made from the same castings as the Bridgeport. It would be nice to know I had a brand new fully functional and straight machine with warrantee at least to be sure it is all perfect. Then it would be up to me to keep it like that. No cost of repair or condition issues of an old machine.

I also like the suggestion of looking at other brands of machine in same price range.

Consider getting a DRO from factory or a used mill right away.

I own several Jet wood working machines and have found them to be the cream of the crop in Chinese made machines. I would expect nothing less from their metalworking line.

Dave

I'm responsible for repairing the mills at our school machine shop. We have 7 BP's and 2 Enco's which were probably built in the same country as the Jets. Both of the other instructors who are both experienced journeyman machinists and I agree that we would rather use an old worn out BP than a new Asian built mill regardless of the nameplate, Jet Enco or whatever. I can change a belt on a variable speed BP in less than 1 hour. It took 2 of us 4 hours to change the belt on an Enco and I had to make a few special tools to do the job and that's just one example of a comparison. They may look the same but quality and internal design is lacking in Asian machines.
I have always been a supporter of using American or European machine tools. I just like them and there quality. Having said that if I had to make a part to tight tolerances and I had my choice between a clapped out BP or a new Jet I would use the Jet. The Jet I use at work is made in Taiwan, meets all the inspection tolerances, and if blindfolded you wouldn't know the difference. I have seen Enco machines before and the ones I looked at are no where near the quality of the Jet. I am in no way suggesting that Jets are better than a BP. Only that for some home hobby people a Asian machine might be fine. Right now there has been a discussion on another forum about the cost of refurbishing a BP. We are talking grinding, rescraping, and rebuilding the head. There have been quotes of up to $12,500.00 and that is after you buy a machine and ship it to the rebuilder. As I said in a previous post, there are other quality mills out there. I wouldn't even consider a BP if spending that kind of money.

Regards
Darrell

Back