Millerette Gear Cutting Attachment

Hi John,
I know a few guys who worked at Kaiser (Napa Pipe) in Napa. We had several who came to Mare Island X 31 when it closed. You may know Stan Hitchcock, the Napa Valley College Machine Shop Instructor.

I completed my apprenticeship at Hunter's Point in San Francisco in 1970. I cut gears for a few years, then went to Mare Island in 1974 until it closed. I was the Section 80 GF (Mills, Gear Cutting, Lathes, and NC). I retired from McClellan AFB, Tool and Die/Patternshop Supv with 31 years. Then, in 2000, I started teaching apprentices at Petaluma High School at night and teaching high school in 2003. I retired in 2020, but I am still volunteering there and currently doing some In-Plant Machinist Training in the North Bay area.

Yes, I do know of Sturgeons Mill in Sebastopol! A shop teacher friend, Mark Allen, took me and a bunch of shop teachers there on a tour a couple of years ago. They had the mill and steam plant running that day! Maybe that's where we met?

I have a South Bend 9" and just picked up a Rotex RM1 milling machine and the Millerette. Both the lathe and mill need work. They run OK but need lots of cleanup and detailing.

Dan

I never knew any of the Napa College folks, they were after my time, when the college relocated from the site across from the old high school, my machine shop teacher was Paul Goldberg (later changed to Kreuger), he was the one who encouraged a number of his students to take the Kaiser apprentice test, I placed #3, they were hiring two, but #1 declined, so I got one of the two slots, Dennis Lowery got the other, I think that I was likely #1 on ability, but weak in math. One of my friends who went to MINY was Ron Johnson, a real go getter, I think Bob Pouget was there with him, both were former Kaiser apprentices, Ron went on to commercial fishing and died in a drowning accident, he and I were schoolmates from Jr highschool onward.
J

Hi John,
I know a few guys who worked at Kaiser (Napa Pipe) in Napa. We had several who came to Mare Island X 31 when it closed. You may know Stan Hitchcock, the Napa Valley College Machine Shop Instructor.

I completed my apprenticeship at Hunter's Point in San Francisco in 1970. I cut gears for a few years, then went to Mare Island in 1974 until it closed. I was the Section 80 GF (Mills, Gear Cutting, Lathes, and NC). I retired from McClellan AFB, Tool and Die/Patternshop Supv with 31 years. Then, in 2000, I started teaching apprentices at Petaluma High School at night and teaching high school in 2003. I retired in 2020, but I am still volunteering there and currently doing some In-Plant Machinist Training in the North Bay area.

Yes, I do know of Sturgeons Mill in Sebastopol! A shop teacher friend, Mark Allen, took me and a bunch of shop teachers there on a tour a couple of years ago. They had the mill and steam plant running that day! Maybe that's where we met?

I have a South Bend 9" and just picked up a Rotex RM1 milling machine and the Millerette. Both the lathe and mill need work. They run OK but need lots of cleanup and detailing.

Dan
I forgot to mention that one of the machines in my home shop came from Hunter's point; it is a #3-U Gorton pantograph engraver, from Hunter's point it went to Mare Island, and then to the auction and to my shop downtown, then home when I retired, another MINY machine is my #2 Brown & Sharpe universal mill.

Back