Matching Spacing of Existing Blind Holes

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
How can you match the hole spacing of blind holes when you can't use a transfer punch? You could use dial calipers and do a bunch of math to determine the spacing or you could do this:

In this case, I needed to fabricate a bracket to mount a magnetic scale reader head for a DRO to the back of the saddle on my mill. The saddle had existing 1/4" x 20 threaded holes, and I wanted to use those rather than drill and tap new holes.

In the first photo, I knew that the holes were aligned vertically, but didn't know the distance between them. I needed to space the holes in the bracket to bolt up to the mill.

I first determined the location of the first hole and drilled it. I then machined a short stub of drill rod that would slide snugly into one of the existing threaded holes, but not so tightly that it couldn't be easily pulled out. I turned a point onto the stub that sticks out of the hole 3/16" or so.

I applied Dykem Blue to one side of the bracket being fabricated, and then bolted it loosely to the mill using the hole already drilled. I then scribed an arc onto the back of the bracket using the pointed stub. I scribed a line across the arc the same distance from the top as the first hole. That gave me the exact location of the second hole, which I center drilled and then drilled.

Attachments

• holes in mill.jpg
    holes in mill.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 27
  • pointed stub.jpg
    pointed stub.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 27
  • stub in hole.jpg
    stub in hole.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 27
  • drill first hole.jpg
    drill first hole.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 27
  • pivot bracket against stub.jpg
    pivot bracket against stub.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • scribed arc.jpg
    scribed arc.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 26
  • scribe 2nd line.jpg
    scribe 2nd line.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • center drilled.jpg
    center drilled.jpg
    909.7 KB · Views: 24
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 26
A set of these may work

6bd71a3ea89730e27a8aff0e0c35947a.jpg

91f0a730b1c57bdc70e1a7196084a8bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's one way to get it done.

If you do much of that sort of thing . . .

Last edited:
You can also stick the butt ends of two tightly fitting drills into the holes and measure between the same facing sides with a caliper and straight edge. I do that sometimes.
-M

Sad thing is they seem to have gone up in price. When that thread showed up several years back on the Sorensen most picked up the 8” version for $3-40 on eBay. I didn’t see any for less than $80+shipping. If someone buys one make SURE that little placard of how to use it along with test plate are both in the box. It’s useless otherwise.

Last edited:
Sad thing is they seem to have gone up in price. When that thread showed up several years back on the Sorensen moist of picked up the 8” version for $3-40 on eBay. I didn’t see any for less than $80+shipping. If someone buys one make SURE that little placard of how to use it along with test plate are both in the box. It’s useless otherwise.
I would say that they were never cheap, the two that I bought (two different sizes) were a good deal higher than that, and it was over ten years ago, having said that there will always be a time on EB when nobody is looking for one, and a seller that set a low starting price, I have bought a good many things at low prices. I never bid on any item before the end of an auction, using E Snipe, and have ceased buying much of anything; got too much stuff already, just ask my wife ---

Back