Making your own engraving V bits?

Go for the real Deckel D bit grinder. Or the licensed Alexander version from England. Far better quality than the imports. They are not that expensive at auction. I paid 500$ for mine a couple years ago. Complete set of collets and a high-quality diamond cup wheel. Makes producing engraving bits easy and quick. I regrind small broken endmills. Watch YouTube star Stefan Gotteswinter, he does some very interesting work with one of these handy little grinders.

dbit.jpg

Thanks, you are right, I mean Cobalt and edited my post.
The hardest HSS type without cobalt is HSS-M2.

Carbide, (the type inserts are made of) contains Cobalt, or is my translation wrong (native Dutch)
https://www.everloy-cemented-carbide.com/en/knowledge/
I read somewhere that Vanadium also is used to make cemented carbide, to avoid the problem with Cobalt -- but have yet to see anyone actually selling it.

Out of curiosity I tested some of my carbide inserts with a magnet, because cobalt is magnetic -- and, sure enough, they stuck to the magnet.

I have a home-made diamond sharpening setup that was specifically built for carbide. The low-speed wheels pass through a water bath to capture the carbide dust. The lapping disks are sold for lapidary use but work fine for carbide as well.

I've got the Shars, knock off of the Deckel, tool & cutter grinder (Dbit grinder) . It works, the issues are with the lack of skill of the operator. I also recommend watching Stefan's, Blondihack's & Robrenz's videos on the subject. Buying the blanks already half ground saves a lot of time.

Back