Making o ring tool for lathe

I would grind one out of a high speed steel blank tool bit. Just make sure to to have some front and side clearance. With a little care and time one should be able to grind it by hand while checking the width frequently to hit size
I have some 5/8 hss and 3/8 hss blanks I can use up.

Sounds pricey.
It is and was. I have a micrometer that just checks groove width. I have some special depth mic rods to check groove width and location. And have some gages to check id groove diameters. And I have some blade mics to fit into od grooves to check dia.
Jim Sehr
In production I have run tens of thousands of o ring grooves.

I have some 5/8 hss and 3/8 hss blanks I can use up.
What size is the groove. Is it od or Id ?
3/8 tool bit should work fine. Need to grind radius at bottom of tool.
I have cut grooves wider by moving tool sideways if you grind it too narrow.
Jim Sehr
also what lathe do you have?

Last edited:
What size is the groove. Is it od or Id ?
3/8 tool bit should work fine. Need to grind radius at bottom of tool.
I have cut grooves wider by moving tool sideways if you grind it too narrow.
Jim Sehr
also what lathe do you have?
I have a pm1236. The o rings are 1 inch id and 1 1/8 inch od and I have 1/16 inch thick and 1/8 inch thick rings. I also have back up rings because it needs to be able to measure up to 10,000 psi with a 1 inch rammer, piston, and bore.

I have a pm1236. The o rings are 1 inch id and 1 1/8 inch od and I have 1/16 inch thick and 1/8 inch thick rings. I also have back up rings because it needs to be able to measure up to 10,000 psi with a 1 inch rammer, piston, and bore.
I don’t like using my parting tool because they don’t sharpen well after they get dull, so they flex and cause an oblong groove. It doesn’t matter how much time I spend honing and cleaning the parting blade and how close into the holder I get. The holder I have also can’t hold blades straight as they should be. The top of the blade is thicker so no matter what when it is tightened down it is at a small angle, so it draws, or grabs one side more than the other.

where is the info about how to grind specific lathe tools in the machinist handbook. I have looked through the he tooling section and find no mention of angles, or methods to grind specific tools. I don’t think I understand how to fully utilize this book yet.

Last edited:
I would encourage others to "look at the book" so far as O ring groove specs; I still have a spec sheet form Kaiser Steel of O ring groove specs, and they are not straight sided and are wider than the O ring itself. We made our own hydraulic cylinders and other hydraulic appauratus there, I still have a drawing of their hydraulic cylinder standards that they used, of the Ortman- Miller design.
I was flipping pages last week, I saw the section on Orings. That book has everything and then some.

Note the sides of an o ring grove is 0 degrees to +5 degrees hence the easiest way to get the required 62 finish on the sides is to grind a tool undersize on the width and face the sides after you plunge the required depth. I worked in aircraft machine shops making parts for Boeing for 45 years and we always machined them that way.

Back