Made a firewood round mover today.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Bought a few bits and bobs and threw this together today. I know the skidding tongs say explicitly not to lift but I’m going to try just living life a little dangerously. At least until it tries to kill me. I think I could skid from the cutting area to the stack but it’s really meant for lifting the big ones on to the splitter(the manageable big ones, not the gigantic ones). My splitter can lift vertically but it’s a pain to split like that. I’ll still use the vertical for the really big ones.

Also I think I’ll make some block out pieces for the hydraulics to increase the safety some since it will be overhead.

Also also, I tested floppyness of this configuration by bouncing on the I beam. I can make the tractor twist a bit. You don’t see it even move with a 80lb round.

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 50
You don’t even know. We are taking down two trees. I have about 1.3 down. Here’s the pile before I started cutting rounds out.

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3459.jpeg
    IMG_3459.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 15
Nice use of the grain bins! Also a great idea for moving rounds
Martin

Skidding tongs work just fine for lifting, I do it all the time. This rig has a limit of about 250-300 lbs, but that's due to the pump.

You don’t even know. We are taking down two trees. I have about 1.3 down. Here’s the pile before I started cutting rounds out.
My back yard looked like this for 3 years before I got it all cut and split . :grin: That free firewood heated me up about 7 times so far .

All jokes and facts aside, I like having some energy independence when using wood heat.
Not just that, it will always be the cheapest way to heat.
Even after I can't do it myself anymore, there will always be someone with a truck and saw who is hungry.

I grew up with wood heat and spent a lot of my childhood chopping wood. I still try to burn a cord a winter even in my suburban home.

Back