Lubricant for general hobby machining.

maticulus

Registered
Registered
I've noted on a good number of videos I've observed that often minimal to no lubricant is used on mild steel and aluminum and in general for small operations/pieces. I was turning brass today on a 1228, between 1"-.8" at .030" DOC and 120 rpm. I like to paint on a little lubricant with a small brush because it appears it makes a difference and what I use has some staying power.

The cutting oil is from Harbor Freight at $10 a can and I grab a few during 25 and 30% off sales. I spray a little in a small container (thick foam) and mix near an equal amount of WD-40 in which cuts the viscosity down to light wt motor oil level. The chips were short and sticky as usual in this circumstance but the moment I sprayed a little 40 on the dowel thinning the mix even more, immediately springs started forming as seen in the picture. That in my observation suggest the WD-40 improved the cutting ease, am I correct?

I'm going to make it a habit to use lube a bit more abundantly on fine operations as my experience so far has suggested it definitely lengthens the lifespan of the bits and maintains uniformity of cut, especially if mid to high rpm is involved no matter what the diameter is.
Overall I'm very happy with my progress and confidence of hitting desired marks without redundant attention bordering on paranoia. Taking measurements with the mic is like a competitive sport for me.

IMG_20240908_112055208.jpgIMG_20240908_114658790.jpg

Most of the time I cut dry except for aluminum and soft steels. I can see improved surface finish using almost anything for cutting fluid. I was given a gallon of kerosene a long time ago and use that on aluminum using an acid brush.
Used hydraulic oil is free and seems to work OK on soft steel. If I was production machining I'd look into flood coolant but don't want the mess for what I do.

I generally turn brass and cast iron dry. I paint on a bit of brown threading fluid (they're all the same, imo - I know some will disagree). I use WD-40 for aluminum. When cutting steel I often cut dry, if using insert tooling, otherwise I'll use threading oil. With carbide either use continuous lube or none, a little now and then just mucks up your finish.

GsT

I used A-9 for aluminum and Rapid Tap for everything else. Mostly to extend the life of my cutting tools.

Due to another thread I decided to try Crisco as a cutting lube and it is working well. I seem to be going through the Crisco A WHOLE LOT FASTER than I expected though... seems to be getting used up at an absolutely incredible rate! It is not NEARLY as cost effective an alternative as I was lead to believe it would be...

20231002_221308.jpg

On a completely unrelated topic, Piper has been wanting to go outside to do her business MUCH more often than usual lately.

Due to another thread I decided to try Crisco as a cutting lube and it is working well. I seem to be going through the Crisco A WHOLE LOT FASTER than I expected though... seems to be getting used up at an absolutely incredible rate! It is not NEARLY as cost effective an alternative as I was lead to believe it would be...

20231002_221308.jpg

On a completely unrelated topic, Piper has been wanting to go outside to do her business MUCH more often than usual lately.

I tried veg oil but I found it caked up to much and formed a hard layer on the lathe , I've been using bacon fat on steel , works good and smells fab :)

No rust issues so far but mileage may vary :)

Stu

I use Oatey dark cutting oil on almost everything except aluminum. For aluminum I use straight WD40

Both can be found at most farm and home improvement stores. I buy several quarts of the cutting oil when it’s on sale and buy the WD40 by the gallon

I apply both with acid brushes from McMaster. They are cheap and come in a box of 100 units

I use Oatey dark cutting oil on almost everything except aluminum. For aluminum I use straight WD40

Both can be found at most farm and home improvement stores. I buy several quarts of the cutting oil when it’s on sale and buy the WD40 by the gallon

I apply both with acid brushes from McMaster. They are cheap and come in a box of 100 units
Yup, same here. Only, I use Rigid threading oil. And, the acid brushes are handy for a lot of other things.

The cutting oil is from Harbor Freight at $10 a can and I grab a few during 25 and 30% off sales. I spray a little in a small container (thick foam)

View attachment 502230
Keith Appleton occasionally uses a spray foam cutting fluid and likes it because the foam stays on the stock – I wonder if it is similar to the CRC product?

Keith Appleton occasionally uses a spray foam cutting fluid and likes it because the foam stays on the stock – I wonder if it is similar to the CRC product?
It sounds like the same stuff. It comes out of the can in the form of a foam and bubbles down into a thick sticky liquid and demonstrates the same characteristics. I'm just curious about the difference in chips that results.

Back