Looking for a "break in" oil

What kind of engine? And what was done to it?

I agree with the comment about oils available "back in the day" are not necessarily best in modern times.
1973 Norton Commando 850cc; New bearings, fresh bore, new guides and valvesNorton 1.jpg

Last edited:
One question.
Does it have an oil filter?

If yes, detergent oil.

If no, non detergent.

Period.

Detergent keeps stuff in suspension to allow it to be filtered out.

If no filter in place, you want the stuff to settle into the bottom of the case a sludge.

Wal-Mart or tsc, yard equipment.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

A Commando like that will run perfectly happily on regular mineral oil 20W-50. No special brew needed for break-in. I know that new cars come with synthetic from the factory, and they break-in just fine on the stuff, but my opinion is to use mineral oil for break-in with old engines.

Do you feel like shooting down the rabbit hole... https://www.accessnorton.com/Oil-Tests/NortonOil.php

Last edited:
Unable to find it..................Thanks
I think the problem is your relying on Amazon to find your products. Walk into a auto parts store or even a Walmart and ask for sae 30w oil. Easy peezzee. Any synthetic is gonna be way to thin will not allow the rings to seat properly you will be blowin smoke in no time at all. I e been a mechanic for 25+ yrs and have built and rebuilt ALOT of engines.

Last edited:
I think the problem is your relying on Amazon to find your products. Walk into a auto parts store or even a Walmart and ask for sae 30w oil. Easy peezzee. Any synthetic is gonna be way to thin will not allow the rings to seat properly you will be blowin smoke in no time at all. I e been a mechanic for 25+ yrs and have built and rebuilt ALOT of engines.
I know..........here it's easier to do Amazon than get in the car, drive 30 minutes to a store and find out that they don't have it or waste the same amount of time calling on the phone.
A Commando like that will run perfectly happily on regular mineral oil 20W-50. No special brew needed for break-in. I know that new cars come with synthetic from the factory, and they break-in just fine on the stuff, but my opinion is to use mineral oil for break-in with old engines.

Do you feel like shooting down the rabbit hole... https://www.accessnorton.com/Oil-Tests/NortonOil.php
Been down that access Norton rabbit hole................it's a great resource

Back