Logan Lathe does not run true

FWIW. If you haven't ground HHS there are insert options from A.R. Warner. A bit pricy, but usable as is and these lathes were made for HHS. There is also the tangential tool holder from Eccentric Engineering. Cry once but it doesn't take long to offset the cost of inserts. BlondiHacks on YouTube, a very successful teacher, is a convert.

You can sharpen inserts and that will make a difference. A Harbor Freight 4 sided diamond block to start followed by a diamond hone. Expect to spend some time at it. Another reason I tend to stick with HHS. May as well just grind it and the tangential tool takes longer to remount and set the height than it does to touch up a dull edge. Some swear a regular grinding wheel is just fine for carbide. I tend to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations.

A not sharp enough tool with insufficient positive offset will cause excessive tool pressure- the cure is a razor sharp HSS one, or HSS w/cobalt.
Learn to grind, you'll be glad you did and save money too

A not sharp enough tool with insufficient positive offset will cause excessive tool pressure- the cure is a razor sharp HSS one, or HSS w/cobalt.
Learn to grind, you'll be glad you did and save money too
I had not so much as ignored grinding but wanted the quick part of Quick|Good| Cheap LOL. After I got the shaper, no choice in the matter. I can do probably 90% of my lathe work with the Diamond Tool holders and they are easy to put on a very sharp edge very quickly.

Gary, who sells the Diamond Tool holders, recommends not grinding off the wheel center grind. I find it is easier to hold the angle with retaining the wheel center grind rather than flat honing the entire tool face.

Back