Logan 820 Lathe for sale near me - yes or no

tominboise

Registered
Registered
Local Craigslist ad has a Logan 820 lathe this morning, listed at $1850. Is this lathe worth looking at, at this price point? Home hobby shop use is the intent.

Ad text:
"All in good working condition. Quick change gear box, 25/32" spindle bore,
1-1/2 - 8 x #3mt, Flat belt, 110volt, bed length is 43", approx. 530lbs.
small footprint for the shop, tooling included see pictures"

logan 4.jpg
logan 3.jpg
logan 2.jpg
logan 1.jpg

Last edited:
That is going to be a 10x24" lathe.
If that is big enough for you, those are popular home shop lathes.

Logan has very good support, Scott Logan (the grandson of the company founder) runs a couple of Logan support groups. Logan still has many parts available and used parts are common on Ebay.

Price is very local, $1800 seems a little high for my area but not unreasonable for what is shown. 3 and 4 jaw chuck, face plate, tailstock drill chuck and a steady rest covers the main basics you would need specific to that lathe.

So long as it is a size that works for you I'd say it is worth looking at.

It is worth looking at if you know what to look for. If everything works properly and little wear my only concern would be the flat belt as I’m not a big fan. But people make do with them all the time. For me it’s a good size and I personally have not seen too many Logan’s with QCGB, 3jw, 4jw, face plate and steady rest. Logan is a good brand IMHO.

I'd wait for one with v-belts and preferably the much newer pillowblock/ball-bearing jackshaft.
Make sure to get the long cast iron motor assembly floor support which is a must-have.

I'd wait for one with v-belts and preferably the much newer pillowblock/ball-bearing jackshaft.
Make sure to get the long cast iron motor assembly floor support which is a must-have.
Good point... did not notice that in the photo until you called it out...

Everything else seems to be there... maybe just the pipe was removed for the photo... Here is what it looks like (mine before I did the restoration)

IMG_6908.jpeg

I forgot about the pegleg too. I have a much later model of Logan on a cabinet base with a variable speed underdrive,, so no need for the motor support.

I appreciate all the replies. I have decided to pass on this machine at the moment. I think it's priced on the high side and I would like a lathe with a more modern drive system, but especially, I need one with a larger spindle bore, and preferable a longer bed. Having bought a mill on the small end of the scale, I'd rather go a bit bigger on the lathe.

I appreciate all the replies. I have decided to pass on this machine at the moment. I think it's priced on the high side and I would like a lathe with a more modern drive system, but especially, I need one with a larger spindle bore, and preferable a longer bed. Having bought a mill on the small end of the scale, I'd rather go a bit bigger on the lathe.

Spindle bore is one area where the imports often prevail over vintage USA lathes.
SB Heavy 10 and many 11" old USA made lathes will often have a 1-3/8" spindle bore allowing the use of a 5C collet closer but still be of a manageable size.

One of the things I like about my flat belt Logan 820 is that the belt will slip before making a mistake worse.
Harry

The condition of the Change Gears based on the visible gears is concerning, but the missing tooth on what looks like a bull gear near the spindle head is enough to make me pass on this lathe, I'm a sucker for Logan Lathes... beautiful machines, I bought a few item from Scott for my Logan 1875, super nice guy with a lot of Stories to tell...

Finance wise you passing on this one might be best.

Back