Lathe Tool Bit Centering Tip

That steel rule trick works, but it isn't quite as precise as a lathe center height setting tool, which is easy to make and store nearby. Once I made my little tool, I never had a problem with setting center height again.

I abandoned the ruler after dulling a high speed tool and chipping a few carbide inserts.

Here's my tool: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/ToolHeightSet/toolheightset.html

I made a less nicely machined tool that performs the same function, based on one in Workshop Practice Series 43, "The Mini-Lathe". I use it every time I change a tool; very fast, and I'm surprised at how accurate it is.

I have used the "ruler" method a lot also, i generally use a small piece of shim sheet that is very thin as i found the thinner the material the better it seems to work (or maybe its that its a bit shorter/lighter so more easily tipped up when above centre height) i guess it does depend some on the tool shape being used.

mainly i set an adjustable basic stick scribing block to centre height and use that for tool setting or swing the tool post to point at the tail stock and set it off a dead centre in the tail stock.

My lathe probably isn't level to more than a degree or two, they are mounted on wooden work benches that probably shift some what with humidity/temperature so that may kick them off a bit.

i like the dedicated height gauges a lot, i keep being tempted to make one.

It's amazing how many ways their are to do the same thing :)

Stuart

Last edited:
Although I use the ruler just about all the time which works for me, If leveling is a concern, try this,
the next time you face something and have a perfect face no nibs which means you are dead on.
Either measure that write it down or scribe a piece of flat stock standing up on the bed. Many lathes
are scribed on the tail stock quill which is alright but sometimes a pain and the tail stock has to be
locked and thats time.

I use a machinist scale or credit card. I've never got it perfect. No matter what I do there's always an extremely tiny nib when doing cut offs

I use a machinist scale or credit card. I've never got it perfect. No matter what I do there's always an extremely tiny nib when doing cut offs

Sometimes it feels like my credit card is the most used tool in the shop. Just sayin'... :lmao:

-Ron

The tool for checking height as seen below looks perfect for the job.

Here is another such tool.
BB645BD1-E56C-4BA4-95AE-199D20ED3DBD-7269-00000CFB3B9DD02B_zpsc2275294.jpg

http://marquezracing.embarqspace.com/#/lathe-tool-height-gauge/4550166874

The idea for this came from the owner of the Smithy Yahoo group, Ned... I simply followed his build with my own.

It is only a few dollars to build, and a for ever tool.

With the addition of QCTP to my lathe I now only really need to use it when I buy a new tool.. but the tool bit height checker was very handy to have when I was changing bits often in the tool post.

Erik

Last edited:

Umm, I think you take another look at your tool. Try grinding a little radius then raise or lower till the
nib is gone, right or wrong thats what I do, and when done it looks like the shaper did it. When its
gone now make a measuring device. Want to make a mirror face, try a twist drill on some scrap.
All my far fetched ways came from yrs ago my mentor, blue apron ruler in pocket same as old S Bend
vids on UTube sam

This is what I use. Running you finger across the top will tell you when you are at the exact center height.

Ken

CenterHeightGage.jpg

One way you know that you are dead on is to take a fine cut at the end of shaft,when you get to the center of shaft and their is no nib left on the shaft ,bang on. That will be as good as you can get it,plus it is easyer to drill if you have to. FWIW Denis

Back