Lathe Tool Bit Centering Tip

papermaker

Active User
Registered
2013041595133657.jpgThis was shown to me by a 40 year machinist and as a newbie I found it helpful and maybe somone else will too.
To see if your tool bit is in center with your work take a pocket ruler and place it between your tool bit and the work then move the cross slide in to contact the ruler . If the top of the ruler is tipped toward the back of the lathe the bit is set too high and if it is tipped toward the front the bit is set too low. If it is centered the ruler will be straight up and down. Great time saver.

2013041595133657.jpg

I took a chunk of rod and turned a point on it and then used the point to scribe a horizontal line on one of my small machinist squares. I just align the cutter with the line on the blade of the machinist square.

You could also cut a custom height block if you have a mill. You could do above/below center heights on different facets of the block.

You could also set your tool to that point and back up your cross feed ,move up your tail stock ,extend the ram and scribe your line on that.
************Jut Saying**************G***************:eek:uch:

That is a good one.

I found this neat apparatus on flea bay, which is easy to make as well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251256171254

Bernie

Being a tool junkie I was impressed by those until I saw the "your lathe must be level for these to work correctly". If you happen to have a lathe that is true and level, you are good to go but if it is simply true then I think you are out of luck.

Arvid

When I made my tool post for my Craftsman lathe I marked the block of steel I used the tip of my live center. I machined a groove in the block using the line as the top of the groove . I grind my bit so that the tip is even with that line. I always use 3/8" bits so they are always centered.

That steel rule trick works, but it isn't quite as precise as a lathe center height setting tool, which is easy to make and store nearby. Once I made my little tool, I never had a problem with setting center height again.

I abandoned the ruler after dulling a high speed tool and chipping a few carbide inserts.

Here's my tool: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/ToolHeightSet/toolheightset.html

Last edited:
I would encourage all members to visit Frank's site and explore his many projects. I have found a lot of useful information and learned from his knowledge over the years. Thanks for joining in here Frank.

Steve

That steel rule trick works, but it isn't quite as precise as a lathe center height setting tool, which is easy to make and store nearby. Once I made my little tool, I never had a problem with setting center height again.

I abandoned the ruler after dulling a high speed tool and chipping a few carbide inserts.

Here's my tool: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/ToolHeightSet/toolheightset.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the vial center indicators will only work if your lathe is good and level... Whereas mine is true, but not level..

Back