Lathe threading

BenW

Registered
Registered
Hello. Today I wanted to trace a 1.25mm pitch thread on my lathe, which is my first time threading. The biggest issue I have is that my lathe has no metric threading chart, even tough the leadscrew is a 3mm pitch one. There is some sort of chart on the side of the apron, I think it's for the threading dial, but it's confusing me... Threading Dial Chart.jpg
Firstly, why would there only be an imperial threading chart and only a metric threading dial chart? Secondly, there are no worm gears anywhere that I know of, tough the threading dial has 3 spur gears that you can swap between. Also, what are the numbers in the chart supposed to mean anyways, that I can only stay on x number on the dial? But since for cutting metric threads with a metric leadscrew, any number works if the pitch is a multiple of the leadscrew pitch, right? At least several of those threads would allow more than one number, correct?

I guess it's possible there were a metric chart and it's missing, but there really isn't any flat areas left where it could have sat. Also I can't find any rivet holes. Anyways, here's the Imperial chart that's on the machine:
20190123_182336.jpg
The gear configuration seems like the standard metric to inch conversion to me, but how are the gears supposed to be configured normally? I have no manual unfortunately and finding one for a generic Taiwanise 13xsomething with a metric leadscrew has proven a lot more difficult than one with an imperial leadscrew.
I currently have the gears set up such that one turn of the spindle turns the input shaft to the qcgb one turn also. Here is a picture of the ratios that I calculated quickly: 20190123_180337.jpg
The numbers tells how many revolutions the leadscrew/feed shaft turn per 1 turn of the input shaft to the gearbox, for each combination of the 2 selectors. Numbers that were long in decimal form are written as fractions to save space. Since the leadscrew is 3mm pitch, the pitch of the cut thread should be these numbers times 3 with the current 1:1 gearing before the gearbox, unless I messed up (very possible). Say I want that 1.25mm pitch thread, I would need the leadscrew to turn 5/12 of a turn per revolution of the spindle, which is not an option here.
Is there any difference between a typical inch and a typical metric quick change gear box? These numbers don't seem to give me a whole lot of standard metric pitches... I feel like I'm missing something and any help is appreciated.

Reactions: Z2V
It is confusing to see the gear chart set up for metric threading next to a chart that is obviously for inch pitches. The "worm gear" chart is only for the thread dial when cutting metric threads on a machine with a metric lead screw; the chart for inch pitches would be used with the transposing gears, and you would not be able to disengage the half nuts when threading inch pitches, you would have to back up the spindle and return to the starting point. I'd guess that most any lathe with a 3mm pitch lead screw would have a metric chart that would work on your lathe. When cutting a metric thread, you would have only a 3 gear end train, not the four gear (compounded) train shown on the chart.

My guess is the worm gear refers to one of the three gears on the end of the dial, looks like use the thirty tooth. As far as the dial itself I think you would engage the half nut on any "3". A picture of your dial would be helpful. Like benmychree suggested use the three gear train to drive the lead screw. I can't get it to come out so another guess would be that you need to have a ratio on the three gear train. List all your gears to drive the QCGB and might be able to figure it out plus the pic of the thread dial)

I ran some rough numbers and it looks like use a 30 tooth on the output from the head stock, a 36 tooth on the QCGB input and C1 on the QCGB. Check before biffing your part.

Last edited:
The dial has 14 lines and I think the gears are probably the 3 toothcounts listed but I didn't verify that yet. It's a bit late to go down and take a photo now but I don't care too much about the threading dial now anyways, as long as I can thread metric threads. I'm currently only using 3 gears like you suggested, set up like the diagram in the inch threading chart but with the lower 40 tooth gear engaging the 120 tooth one instead of the 127. This results in a 1:1 ratiothrough the gear train up until the qcgb.
ebe04250cd6cb9ad5f4c7d36924e48e7.jpg

I have this picture of the notes listing my gears. I don't know how to rotate it on the phone so sorry about that. The tapered stack in the pic is the gears inside the qcgb so you can ignore that. The row with the numbers 40 and 36 are the gears that can go on the input shaft of the qcgb, and the other row lists all the other gears, that can go where the upper 40 tooth gear is in the diagram on the chart.
Hope I got it all, I can doublecheck tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I ran some rough numbers and it looks like use a 30 tooth on the spindle, a 36 tooth on the QCGB input and C1 on the QCGB. Check before biffing your part.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow morning, I have those gears.
Regards

I agree with BtoVin83.
30,36,C1 Ran using the compounded gear in the middle like the plate on the lathe instead of only 3 gears as you are running now.

To get 1.25 pitch on my lathe, I would run 50,60,C1. As you can see, the ratios are the same. My compound gear is 91/86 instead of the 127/120 you have, but here the ratio is very close. If this works for you, I have a chart that I found online somewhere that could be used to determine change gears for your lathe for any thread pitch.

I ran some rough numbers and it looks like use a 30 tooth on the output from the head stock, a 36 tooth on the QCGB input and C1 on the QCGB. Check before biffing your part.
That worked wonders! But how did you calculate it?

I agree with BtoVin83.
30,36,C1 Ran using the compounded gear in the middle like the plate on the lathe instead of only 3 gears as you are running now.

To get 1.25 pitch on my lathe, I would run 50,60,C1. As you can see, the ratios are the same. My compound gear is 91/86 instead of the 127/120 you have, but here the ratio is very close. If this works for you, I have a chart that I found online somewhere that could be used to determine change gears for your lathe for any thread pitch.

A link to the chart would be nice, It could be useful even if it's for a diffrent pitch leadscrew. Thanks.

http://truetex.com/grizzly-12x36-pitch.htm

I just noticed that on my machine and in the table linked above, the larger side of the compound gear (91 for me) is ran closest to the machine to mesh with the top gear, but on your chart the smaller side of the compound gear is closest to the machine. Maybe the chart can be adapted to be of some use.

Back