Lathe Power Feed cuts threads?

At one time there was a guy selling repro charts on eBay. I'd check there and if you come up empty just hit general web search. You might also look into engraving / etching your own, or services that might do that sort of thing.

GsT

Position "A" in your picture will give you a lot more feed than position "E". If you want truly fine feeds, use positions "E" and "8".

At one time there was a guy selling repro charts on eBay. I'd check there and if you come up empty just hit general web search. You might also look into engraving / etching your own, or services that might do that sort of thing.

GsT

I believe that this guy has passed away.

Position "A" in your picture will give you a lot more feed than position "E". If you want truly fine feeds, use positions "E" and "8".

I believe that this guy has passed away.
Tested this morning, I feel like a dummy I kept looking at the chart and going "I need to put the gearbox in E8" and the promptly moving the damn lever to A. Finally actually moved it to E and low and behold its feeding nice and slow. Thank you everyone for there help, never discount user error!

I found an Ebay listing for a 9A lathe's chart but based on my research I think its the same chart across all of SB's models as long as they use the QCGB but you guys probably know more than me. There is also a listing for one for a 13" which gives dimensions. Will the chart have the same dimensions across all lathe's or does the gearbox grow and shrink with the size of the lathe?

Tested this morning, I feel like a dummy I kept looking at the chart and going "I need to put the gearbox in E8" and the promptly moving the damn lever to A. Finally actually moved it to E and low and behold its feeding nice and slow. Thank you everyone for there help, never discount user error!

I found an Ebay listing for a 9A lathe's chart but based on my research I think its the same chart across all of SB's models as long as they use the QCGB but you guys probably know more than me. There is also a listing for one for a 13" which gives dimensions. Will the chart have the same dimensions across all lathe's or does the gearbox grow and shrink with the size of the lathe?

There are differences across the different lathe sizes. You actually DO need one for your 13". A 9" will be way off, as will any other plate for different sizes. Your lathe uses larger gears (different DP), so your box is bigger.

There are differences across the different lathe sizes. You actually DO need one for your 13". A 9" will be way off, as will any other plate for different sizes. Your lathe uses larger gears (different DP), so your box is bigger.
Gotcha, couldnt tell from the pictures but I figured as much, unfortunately it seems the 14 1/2" lathes are pretty rare so I'll have to resort to laminated paper for know, I guess another project for the list :D.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Gotcha, couldnt tell from the pictures but I figured as much, unfortunately it seems the 14 1/2" lathes are pretty rare so I'll have to resort to laminated paper for know, I guess another project for the list :D.

Thank you everyone for your help!

The 14½" INDEX PLATE, item #24 below, is the same as the 16 and 16/24" lathe's plate.

1728230606007.png

Yes, operator error is always a possibility. Be safe.
Some recommendations:
We have a South Bend specific forum, so you may want to post your machine specific questions there. South Bend aficionados may follow that forum, so may be more likely to see your thread.

If you don't get a viable answer hear, start a new thread with a title such as "Need Source for Reproduction QCGB Feed Chart". I'm sure that such sources exist. A laminated paper chart isn't a bad idea. One nice feature is that you can bring it to your reading range rather than having to bend over to read it. Either way, verify with a dial indicator that the any chart agrees with what your QCGB is actually putting out.
Regarding the damaged gear, I'm under the impression that new replacement gears are easy enough to locate or make from a stock gear (Boston Gear for instance). A new gear is my recommendation over a braze/recut repair. A clunk-clunk-clunk (resulting from an imperfect repair) would irritate me no end.

2. Any ideas where I can purchase a nice chart to put on the lathe? For the time being I think I'll just print one off and laminate it but I'd like to restore this machine to a little closer to her original state, some things are busted and cant be helped but not everything.

Over on the Practical Machinist South Bend forum, is an individual who used to work at the South Bend factory - Ted, aka SBLatheman. He posted a listing for NOS index plates for many SB lathes about 15 years ago. You might want to contact Ted to see if he can still help you.

Back