Lathe Dogs & Faceplates

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have the 4 lathe dogs that Grizzly sells. They all have bent tails. I have been using the bent tail dogs because I don’t have to take the time to put on a face plate.

I have a face plate for my 10” swing lathe, but I have never used it because, like I said, I just get bent tail dogs and have the chuck jaw push the tail.

So now I bought a 16” lathe, and I don’t have a face plate for that lathe. The spindle is MT6, I also have an MT6 to MT4 reducing sleeve, and this lathe uses D1-6 chucks. How would I go about getting a face plate for this lathe?

Also, can’t I just keep using bent tail lathe dogs & never have to buy or take the time to mount a face plate?

I also wonder what the largest bent tail lathe dog is that fits on a 16” swing lathe. My lathe has a gap bed, but I would not remove the gap bed for turning between centers.

Finally, it is weird that I have to use the compound to cut a new 60° point on my dead center on the headstock end every time I put a Morse taper dead center in my headstock spindle? It never inserts in perfectly, even if I hit it with a dead blow hammer.

Last edited:
faceplates are great for odd shaped or otherwise un-grabbable by a chuck.
there is no rule stating that you must use a faceplate at all, but they come in handy

there are D1-6 faceplates for sale on ebay, amazon and machine tool dealers
used is generally the cheapest way to get one

cutting the 60° every time will ensure that the center is running true to the headstock

you may wish to spot the spindle taper and see what the problem is

What diameter is the spindle flange on a D1-6? I have a dog driving plate that is 7- 1/8" diameter where it fits against the spindle flange.

Here you go for an Ebay catch.
That is a faceplate, not a dog driving plate. The dog plate is a good deal smaller and usually has one or two slots, sometimes four, and the slot go nearly to the center hole.

First one is a dog plate, second is a fixture plate.
SB terms.

Attachments

• 20201121_203529.jpg
    20201121_203529.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200821_230641 (1).jpg
    20200821_230641 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
You just answered my question. One like this came with my lathe. Haven't used it yet but I can see with a center in the spindle = lots of options

Attachments

• dog plate.jpg
    dog plate.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 20
You just answered my question. One like this came with my lathe. Haven't used it yet but I can see with a center in the spindle = lots of options
You need straight dogs for that.
1 came with my lathe, but I don't use it.

Back