Lathe Cutting tool Wall Chart

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Afternoon guys,well today I had laminated drill bit/tap chart size of legal size paper both standard and metric back to back.Now looking in the Atlas book on page 41 is a lathe cutting tool chart for mounting on the wall which I would like to have but maybe something that I can print is more practical.It shows the cutting tool design,shapes,acouple other things that my eyes can't make out.I guess I could have my book handy,turn to the correct pages,get oil stains all over or I could have a chart with in arms reach and hold it in front of me while grinding,shaping which is what I would like to do if I could find one.I was wondering if someone had a copy that they could email me or PM so that I could print it.What I would like to also find is a chart that shows correct rpms for drilling holes in different metals,also maybe spm speed chart for cutting different metals on a bandsaw.I had ask a question about spms for the bandsaw cutting stainless steel 316 and receive several answers,but most collected that information from a book or a chart,so what book or what chart?If someone has some of these charts or know where I could look to find them,please let me know.And if you know of any other charts that would be handy in a hobbist envviroment,please send it my way or if you could provide a link.All is much appreciated---Thanks kroll

How about this one?

I can send you a larger version if you wish but not able using the PM method.
Pierre

cutting-tool-page.jpg

I used "Copy Image" to place pdentrem's image on my desktop as a .jpg. Imported the image into Acrobat & created a pdf. Although a bit dark it prints out as an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet. Acrobat displays it on-screen at 75%. I can enlarge it (pdf) to ~400%. While not razor sharp at that magnification, it is readable. At 200% excellent result. I intend - but have not done it yet - to try to lighten the background & improve contrast.

Attachments

• cutting-tool-page.pdf
    216.5 KB · Views: 222
I took the liberty of copying the image and cleaning it up a bit. I have attached the cleaned up image in both jpg and PDF formats. Any chance of getting a higher resolution scan of this page?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a related question: It looks to me like the tools in the chart are being held in a lantern type tool holder, so that the cutting tool is held at an angle. What modifications, if any, need to be made when using the cutting tools in a QCTP or similar which holds the tool at a 90 degree angle to the work?

cutting-tools.jpg

Attachments

• cutting-tools.pdf
    591.7 KB · Views: 137
I took the liberty of copying the image and cleaning it up a bit. I have attached the cleaned up image in both jpg and PDF formats. Any chance of getting a higher resolution scan of this page?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a related question: It looks to me like the tools in the chart are being held in a lantern type tool holder, so that the cutting tool is held at an angle. What modifications, if any, need to be made when using the cutting tools in a QCTP or similar which holds the tool at a 90 degree angle to the work?

You have to add the rocker angle to the total. So for example, on the first line of the chart, at the bottom left, it has 16.5 degrees. Add the 8 degrees from the lantern to the 16.5 for a total of 24.5.
That is what I was told.

As for better res, I am not sure if Clausings still sell these. I have a total of 5 wall charts, but a bit leary due to copyrights. Do not want to get the forum in trouble. That is why I have not posted the rest. If this is OK I will post the rest at a higher quality. Maybe mods can let us know?
Pierre

I just ordered a set of these from Clausing and they arrived today. They are nicely printed on heavy stock paper and shipped rolled up in a tube. Cost was 14.75 plus shipping, item number is 6608.

The threading charts and tool bit charts are very handy. There's also a chart showing the parts of a lathe (shows a Clausing lathe, not an Atlas) and a chart of decimal/fraction equivalents.

There was a pair of two original charts that just sold on ebay for around $50 (older ones, printed on blueprint paper). That makes these seem like a bargain.

Good to know. Pretty darn cheap, in my opinion.
Pierre

Back