Lathe convert to bearings

Your creativity is admirable but I guess I’m going to be the sour note here. Ball/roller bearings need more real estate than your lathe headstock has got. And I’m guessing the lathe does not have any high RPM’s on its speed chart. Back then a typical bearing material was Babbitt. It was heated to molten and poured into place and then scraped to fit, finish, alignment and all of that (an art in itself!). Unless you do some radical modifying to the headstock and probably change the spindle, all for bearings. I would go with what it had originally. If done correctly, it should last a lifetime. Good Luck in your restoration.

You may be able to get needle roller bearings/cups for the radial load that are low profile enough and work in conjunction with the thrust bearings. Problem will be keeping the bearing cup od small enough to not protrude into the cap threads. If the spindle is hardened and has a nicely ground journal area (haha) you can get the needle bearings with no inner race thus keeping the OD down. Likey tho you'll have to use the type with an inner race.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411149385.273650.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411149534.505056.jpg
Still going to be dealing with a total loss oiling system too

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411149385.273650.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411149534.505056.jpg

Double uhg. I am a dunce today. Sorry op i skimmed the first post way too fast. Yes the big gear problem. Im going to slip quietly away now

I had come across Babbit bearings in my web searching, and this does indeed look like the bearings that I have.

I have also been wondering about a health concern - are there health concerns with babbit bearings? I know they contain a large proportion of lead in the metal, and I also know that the oil that comes through the bearings is a grey sludge. I am wondering if this is an oil/lead sludge that has toxicity issues associated with it. Anyone know about this?
As for all the concerns about keeping it original, I can understand this. I am certainly trying to come up with ways to do this without modifying the original parts if possible. I will see if I can get access to a press somewhere, but has anyone had any experience with split roller bearings? I have come across these for large equipment, where it is not practical to remove everything off the shaft to replace a bearing, but I'm not sure if split roller bearings even come in smaller sizes or at a reasonable cost, so I'll have to chase this up with a local bearing supplier. It would certainly make the bearing installation much easier if I can use these. I can't see any evidence of a key slot in the gear wheel, so it must just be pressed on.

The lathe speed has been commented on a few times. The lathe speeds have been modified over time, and the main speeds are 380/615/1000 rpm. With the back gear engaged (which I haven't yet had the need to use), it drops to 60/95/160. With some changes to the drive belt gears, the speeds can be stepped up again from there. But most of the time, I use it around 600 or 1000rpm. This is higher than the original speeds designed for this lathe - another reason why bearings might be worthwhile.

It hasn't been mentioned but what is the exact make and model of lathe is that and what is the value of it if you sold it and bought a new lathe to suit your needs? I know sentimental value of the item in the family for a long time, etc.. But you haven't really posted your thoughts of keeping it in the family for the next generation.

I have an old car that has been passed down and I know the family is pleased I have it but I also know they would see it would be better to sell it if what I got for it made sense.

Maybe make a project of doing a nice restore on it, maybe even returning it to pedal drive and sell it to get something more useable?

This is one of those posts that could be taken as way for out and maybe uncaring as far as the sentiment but should be thrown in as an idea.

Do you have room to add a bearing block either inside or out side the orig cast? If you had a mill it would be pretty easy to make flats. But if you can weld or even work a file well, you could add blocks given some room.

If it was me though I would just make it pretty and look for even a little bench lathe to as big as I could afford. Fresh paint, polish up all the shinny, new bronze.brass where I could. Make some brass and stainless handles, man she's sure is pretty ahahahaha

I went through the same thing with my old mini lathe and realized that I would have to make a new spindle AND a new head stock for the bearings to fit. I had neither the time nor money so now I just use it happily within its many limitations. One day I'll get a bigger and better lathe bit I'm happy to have it until then!

It's an 1890s WJ Barnes screw cutting lathe. Originally a treadle lathe, it has been converted to 1/3HP motor 30+ years ago. Treadle parts, flywheel and seat are long gone. I have already put in a lot of work to shine the shiny bits and clean everything and get it all working again, but with missing parts and modifications, it's certainly not original anymore. Yes, I could possibly sell it as an antique, but even assuming I could find a buyer (which I don't expect is easy to do), I don't think I'd get a lot for it. It is a very capable machine with lots of bits and bobs and extras, and it would be some serious cash to replace this capability. If someone knocked on my door with lots of cash, I might consider it, but it sounds like a lot of work to chase a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

There's also the issue that being a family handmedown, I don't know that it's actually mine to sell, although I'm free to modify it. So, I'm still looking into the bearings. I've come up with a few possibilities, and also found a press to hopefully remove the gear. Stay tuned.

Back