NSFW Last Word repair

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.

Rich Berg

Registered
Registered
Hi, I am trying to get this indicator to quit sticking. it hangs up only in one direction. this indicator is quite old. I originally thought it was just dirty with dried oil. I removed the parts and cleaned all the moving parts and oiled with watch oil. this didn't have any effect. the stylus looks like someone may have done something to it, the ruby is in place.
naturally after trying to reassemble for the 3rd time the pivot screw took off into the abyss of my shop, maybe my wife can locate it, or I will try to make one. I don't know the thread is, looks like 2-64
Rich

Attachments

• last word stylus.jpg
    last word stylus.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 28
  • lw.jpg
    lw.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 28
  • lw1.jpg
    lw1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29
They're junk overall.

I always looked at them as a cheap indicator to give to an apprentice so when they drop it it’s no great loss.

Every single toolmaker I have worked with has been burned by one of these suddenly sticking.

We jokingly call these “Curse Word” as this is the inevitable result of using one.

I send this kind of stuff to Mark Ratkowski (MR Tool Repair). He's in Crystal Like, Illinois. I have better things to do that money with them itty bitty screws. ;)

That's tough ! :grin: They do everything good .....................they do nothing great is how I would say it . I have parts down the basement either way .
HI I've been trying to find the root cause of the sticking.
any comments will be appreciated
Rich

For sticky indicators try some mineral spirits . :encourage:

I have had a Last Word indicator since the 1960s and have had little trouble with it, only requiring an occasional adjustment to the pivot, no sticking.

I have had a Last Word indicator since the 1960s and have had little trouble with it, only requiring an occasional adjustment to the pivot, no sticking.
It's the only indicator I've used since 99 also . My work didn't require anything better after getting more into maintenance . I do agree with RBWs that there are many better indicators out there if the job requires it , but the Last Words will work 99% of what we do on here . :encourage:

Rich

My point of view comes from a place where we do this for a living so take it as you will, but no one I have ever know has done anything other than chuck them.

Their entry level at best.

That's tough !:eek: :grin: They do everything good .....................they do nothing great is how I would say it . I have parts down the basement either way .

There are two types of people in the world of metrology.

Those who have had a job ruined by a sticking last word and those who some day will.

I said to myself, man I really nailed that setup and proceeded to grind my part.

Only after it was found to be bad did I look to see the indicator was still on zero while the work was no longer touching it.

Rich
how did you clean it. I soak them in clean mineral spirits, then compressed air at like 10-15 lbs to blow the ms out. that usually unsticks them.
I have a super old one, where the dial does not move. I don't use it much. Only when I can't get my existing snugs to work for me. It's a last resort. My Mitutoyo test indicator or my bestest are my first choices.

Back