K&T Vertical Mill

Jworks

Registered
Registered
New to the forum! I collect and use a lot of old tools but this is one of my more recent projects.

I have had a K&T 2D for a long time now, I use it for repair work and making new parts for projects around my shop. It has molded me into an absolute K&T fan so when I stumbled across this a few months ago I knew I had to have it. Road trip to Michigan then back to Montana and its here. I'm no stranger to large heavy equipment but pictures do not do it justice on the size of this machine. With the spindle all the way up the top is close to 9 ft.

Used the neighbor's CAT loader to get it off the trailer and into the bay. I plan to fix it up and use it for some larger projects I have coming up here in the future.

Anyways, pictures of the machine.

PXL_20240330_012037365.jpg

No 4 TF... 20”x 80” table
It came out of the factory in 68 per the master serial number sheet of K&T

PXL_20240325_212847202.jpg

My 2D

PXL_20230321_015034336 (1).jpg

ill keep track of my progress in this thread.

Welcome to HM.
That's a beast. Great machines...
More pics of the shop... that's awesome...

Welcome to H-M ! Yes , the KTs are beasts . We had many of them in my first shop . Ran them 12 hrs a day/night on torpedo trays for the gubmint . That job helped me purchase my house back in 86 . :)

That thing is huge!
Nice shop!

Kearney & Trecker was originally out of West Allis WI. I’ve always loved their machines. Unfortunately I’m not big enough to carry any of them down to my basement shop

There were several other machine builders in this area including Gisholt, Giddings & Lewis, Gorton, Tree, and Famco among them

Most have been absorbed into other conglomerates, or simply faded away into history

Last edited:
Nice. 2 years ago I picked up a 1940 ish 4H vertical mill. I finally got it into my shop last fall, but haven’t had time to get it hooked up yet. I fear I might need to put in a 5 or 7.5 hp motor in stead of the 10hp in it now, due to lack of enough power in my shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back