Jet-16 Mill Drill

George R

Registered
Registered
I am going to look at a Jet-16 mill drill. From looking around, it appears like it’s capabilities fall somewhere between the JMD-15 and JMD-18 and is similar to and RF-30.

He is asking $500 for the machine and a stand no tooling. He says it’s in good condition, but the two pictures I have show a well used machine with a paint job that was apparently applied by a 4 year old. Does anyone have any suggestions on problem areas with these machines to look for?

Thanks

3f4266f11c16db86683a07175d2efdcd.jpg

a1eb2a1f9b2cc61bf487e72905cd6e60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spindle and quill should be examined, spindle bearings might need replacing and the fit of the quill in the head might be loose. Check the downfeed mechanism. Price seems reasonable.
Also check the spindle taper and condition, and the collet drawbar.
You'll need to buy a vise and a few collets + endmills to get started
-Mark

I think its a bad sign when the can of liquid wrench is even sitting on the machine in the picture. Seems like the owner waits for things to get so bound up before any lube gets put on.

I think its a bad sign when the can of liquid wrench is even sitting on the machine in the picture. Seems like the owner waits for things to get so bound up before any lube gets put on.

Might be. It sounds like he bought it and hasn’t used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The things to check is the amount of play in the X and Y. The RF30 the nuts have some adjustment. But the lead screws are not easily lubed so it easy let them go dry and for the nuts and lead screws to get worn out. Besides having to deal with play in keeping track of the numbers the big pain is it can cause havoc when climb milling. For me the biggest sign of neglect is the drill holes in the table. That screams dummy’s doing dumb things. I paid less than $500 for mine and while rode hard and put up wet it wasn’t that bad. I’d not go over $200 personally. To me it’s a boat anchor.

I concur with what's been said... Looks pretty rough. Go low...

While you couldn’t use R8 collets, ER32 collets would work fine with a MT3 ER32 chuck.
That’s what I use in my SB9 when I need collets.
I made an adaptor so I could use my 3/8-16 drawbar.

Thanks everyone. I am going to go look at it tomorrow morning. I agree it looks road hard and put up wet. When I get there, I'll find out if it is worth salvaging. I figure I will have to tear is down, clean, and grease everything at a minimum. Will definitely offer less than he is asking. The more I look at it, the more I think it is about a $300 machine as it sits.

Back