Jet 1024P

dummkopf

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I inherited this Jet 1024P lathe from my dad. He bought it brand new in 1979 and it saw light use over the years in the basement shop. I would like to replace the headstock bearings and upgrade to a quick change tool post that accepts 3/4" tool holders. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20241013_190449687_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241013_190449687_HDR.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 28
Welcome, Herr Dummkopf. That looks like a handy sized lathe that will expand your capabilities in the shop, and maybe save your skin and get you out of a pickle if you are so inclined. I think most of the quick change tool posts in that size range top out at 1/2", at least the ones that are commonly available. I am mainly posting to say the bearings probably don't need replacing unless you know for sure, like maybe if someone filled the gearbox with sand and metal shavings instead of oil. Taiwan bearings of that vintage should last most of the life of the lathe. How does it cut? Is the finish good on a test piece?

That machine was probably made by Tida like mine was, should be a great hobby machine. Is there a reason you want to change the bearings like they were run dry or have excessive runout? I’d suggest getting the tool post and running it a while if you’re not totally sure about bearings.

John

The outside bearing is showing no oil. I remember my dad saying something about needing to replace the bearings before he passed. The finish isn't great although I am probably doing something wrong. Being able to accurately set the tool height with a good tool post will really help me out.

What kind of oil should I use for those bearings?

Very nice! I once owned pretty much the exact same lathe - except branded "Winchester". Sold it and got a 12x36. I should have kept the Winchester.

I have the 12x36 version badged Samson. I run hydraulic oil in mine.

30wt Non-detergent is sufficient for the headstock and general lubrication.
As John mentioned, hydraulic fluid ISO100 would also be sufficient

What seals the oil? I'm wondering why the outer bearing is reading empty as if it has leaked out...

It was your dad's lathe. Purchased brand new. It's very unlikely that the bearings are worn out. I'd just disassemble, clean and re-lube everything. It could be as simple as a tiny piece of swarf.

BTW, power cross feed and a separate feed shat. This is a really nice little lathe.

Last edited:
Back