Inherited Oxy Acetylene Tanks

A few weeks ago I picked up a torch set up with cart at a local auction without tanks. Today I went by Central Welding Supply (They are the largest supplier here in the Northwest) to buy/rent oxygen and acetylene. There was no mention of leasing however I did have to purchase the acetylene tank. On the back of the receipt it states terms and conditions upon which cylinders are loaned; in other words the Seller still owns the tank. Whats interesting is I did not have to sign an agreement and they did not take down my name or address.

Franz,
I'd agree with you on the counter help. The guy at the counter couldn't answer any of my questions. However the guy that told me all of those things was actually the owner of the company. I'm guessing he just didn't feel like dealing with the "single cylinder customer" like me.

i have been welding for forty years and i have been down this "gas tank" road a few times. the policies vary between companies and locals. your best bet if you plan on using welding gas,is to use a local reputable company that can supply all your needs. these companies have various programs for renting or owning cyls. they can explain the difference between the programs and you can decide what is best for you. larryr

I have 4 welding tanks that I have bought over the years, and when any are empty I just take them in and trade for a full one, that way I have no worry or cost for tank maint.

The welding shop makes the final call. All are different. I have some personal bottles from 2 different companys. The cheaper to refill from is stricter on where they came from. They must be from them. The other one refills (swaps out for a fresh bottle) at a higher cost. Both charge an approx. $20-$25 fee for bottles out of inspection age. I bought a 125 CF argon bottle last week (outrite) in Chicago. My company owns the tank, no monthly rental fee for $149 full and delivered next day. I thought this was very fair.

Ron

The welding shop makes the final call. All are different. I have some personal bottles from 2 different companys. The cheaper to refill from is stricter on where they came from. They must be from them. The other one refills (swaps out for a fresh bottle) at a higher cost. Both charge an approx. $20-$25 fee for bottles out of inspection age. I bought a 125 CF argon bottle last week (outrite) in Chicago. My company owns the tank, no monthly rental fee for $149 full and delivered next day. I thought this was very fair.

Ron

I sure wish I could get those prices here in Alberta/Canada. I guess I should be happy...at least I can actually own the tank here. I bought a 100cu ft cyl, filled with 75/25 about 6 months ago. All said and done, cylinder and gas, I was just under the $300 mark.

[FONT=&amp]Edited to add: Doh! Just noticed OP needed gas almost a year ago. Guess he has it worked out by now....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a set of O/A tanks that were leased in another state, maybe 18 years ago, and when I moved here, to VA, some years ago it never occurred to me to take them back for the deposit before moving, and besides, they still were full of gas.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]When one went empty, knowing there might be trouble, and wishing to avoid the problems that giving too-much-info seems to sometimes make, I just showed up with the bottle on a handcart at the local National Welders / Airgas store in Tidewater, VA, and said "I need to get some gas". The guy just took my tank and gave me a full one, no questions, no answers, no problem. Repeated a couple times since.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Then I got a MIG and needed some C25. Went to Airgas and paid for the gas, plus a tank lease or purchase, I don’t remember which. So when I ran out of C25, I happened to go to Arcet instead of Airgas (was giving a buddy a ride and he was an Arcet regular), and so took the C25 tank there and the guy just swapped the empty for a full one, no questions asked, even though the tank had come from Airgas a few months prior.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]You are near DC? I don't know where you went, if it was in DC, VA, MD or what, but it might be a state law thing, and in DC the laws can be tight of lots of things (go figure...)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]There are both Airgas and Arcet dealers just south of DC in VA, and I've had no problem in VA. Maybe a coincidence, but it also may be that rather than doing the whole explaining-in-detail thing on the phone or in person, just carry your tank into the store (I take a handcart and a rope to secure the tank) and say "I need another bottle of gas." And see what happens. It may be less convenient than checking price and availability on the phone, but if it works, you will know where to go from then on.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back