I'm not sure what this is used for.

Yes that, Lets think outside the box a little.

That, with an abrasive blade to do compound angles.

Form the tool 90% on the belt sander and use this to finish grind the tool like you would do with a chainsaw sharpener.
Yeah, maybe. As a HF devotee the first requirement is to think outside the box. Usually what can I turn this into and not really I’ve found exactly what I want. This of course excludes things like vac’s but very few things do I buy at HF without expected mods. The machine I was originally looking for was the circular saw blade sharpener they used to sell. It was great for sharpening blades and after I sharpened all my blades it’s just been sitting. I think it would be a worthy project if I didn’t already have my Chidor grinder that has a 80grit green stone and a 320 grit CBN wheel. The CBN wheel does a fantastic job of honing HSS and carbide. The old HF circular saw blade sharpener looked like this:

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, maybe. As a HF devotee the first requirement is to think outside the box. Usually what can I turn this into and not really I’ve found exactly what I want. This of course excludes things like vac’s but very few things do I buy at HF without expected mods. The machine I was originally looking for was the circular saw blade sharpener they used to sell. It was great for sharpening blades and after I sharpened all my blades it’s just been sitting. I think it would be a worthy project if I didn’t already have my Chidor grinder that has a 80grit green stone and a 320 grit CBN wheel. The CBN wheel does a fantastic job of honing HSS and carbide. The old HF circular saw blade sharpener looked like this:

Yes, your HF conversion habit has rubbed off on me. Die grinder, mini sander etc. You are a bad, bad man. ;)

You can also look on eBay for used lathe tooling lots. Some will be useful as is, just needing a little resharpening. The rest you just regrind to your needs.
I bought the set of 8 bits (#8 was late for picture day) for $15 on eBay, and the previous owner of my lathe included four pre-ground and two 8" blanks (all 3/8" sq) so I'm set for a little while anyway. I live near Cocoa FL, and I went into a hardware store named Travis. Family owned for 140 years, it's the place where the pros go, it's the place where they "Give you the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean, ugly, nasty things" if they've never seen you before. The grinding wheel says Anderson, the box says Grier, but this 6X1 spins straight, true, and most of all vibration free. Once I get done digesting everything Mikey wrote on the subject of tool shaping, I think I'm ready to start practicing with the grinder and belt sander.

Back