I'm not sure what this is used for.

bionicback321

Registered
Registered
I was watching Adam Savage's "mini vault door build" video series and things got out of hand. I now own a Grizzly G0769 lathe/mill (I know, I've already been yelled at) and I'm trying to teach myself how to use it. I've owned a woodworking lathe for nearly half my adult life, so I have a rudimentary knowledge of turning. I installed an OXA 250-000 quick change tool post (and about a dozen holders), which has made using the lathe so much easier. I bought a set of standard 10mm indexable carbide tool holders (before I knew better) from Amazon and a pre-ground set of HSS bits off eBay. It's that set that I need some help with. I have a pretty good idea what most of them are used for, but bit #1 has me a bit perplexed. If someone could explain the use case for the first bit, I would greatly appreciate it.
HSS lathe bits.jpg

#1 is just an angled grooving bit . Really has no special purpose and you'll find that you need special grinds with many parts .

#1 would come in handy for work close to the tailstock when using a center in the tailstock.

Just about all of those tools look like they're meant to cut grooves of one kind or another. What did that ebay vendor call them?

For starters you just need the usual right-hand and left-hand cutters. At some point you will want one with a 60 degree profile for cutting threads but that can come later. Some of the ones you've got might be OK for parting-off.

For starters you just need the usual right-hand and left-hand cutters. At some point you will want one with a 60 degree profile for cutting threads but that can come later.
Yep , no turning tools which is strange for a set . If like most of us , he'll need 300 or more in the future ! :encourage:

I was watching Adam Savage's "mini vault door build" video series and things got out of hand. I now own a Grizzly G0769 lathe/mill (I know, I've already been yelled at) and I'm trying to teach myself how to use it. I've owned a woodworking lathe for nearly half my adult life, so I have a rudimentary knowledge of turning. I installed an OXA 250-000 quick change tool post (and about a dozen holders), which has made using the lathe so much easier. I bought a set of standard 10mm indexable carbide tool holders (before I knew better) from Amazon and a pre-ground set of HSS bits off eBay. It's that set that I need some help with. I have a pretty good idea what most of them are used for, but bit #1 has me a bit perplexed. If someone could explain the use case for the first bit, I would greatly appreciate it.
View attachment 502318
Don't feel bad, I have a SB 9 that uses change gears, I am always told it is worthless............

Welcome to the forum. Lots of very knowledgeable people on here. We will try to help you out and politely answer all of your questions.

You need to read mikey's thread on Models for grinding HSS lathe tool bits. He tells how the grind the 3 commonly used tool bits on page 11.

It is a long thread. Well worth the time to read it. I have read it several times.

I am still a pretty much a newby at this machining stuff. When I was first getting started I stumbled onto Mr Pete's, aka Tubalcain's videos.

IMHO he is the best of the best for teaching us newby's how to machine. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. Start with his first videos.

I am still a pretty much a newby at this machining stuff. When I was first getting started I stumbled onto Mr Pete's, aka Tubalcain's videos.

IMHO he is the best of the best for teaching us newby's how to machine. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. Start with his first videos.
That how I started too. Mr. Pete is a good teacher and reminds me so much of my high school shop teachers which were some of my all time favorites.

I don’t see any tool bits in your picture that would be useful for normal turning. Buy a few blank tool bits in high speed steel and grind your own. See post number seven. Mikey does a good job explaining how to do it. Don’t worry about it being perfect, if it’s close it will still work fine. Find yourself a copy of how to run a lathe by South Bend. You should be able to find a download of one for free. It is an older publication, but the basics are still the same. If you have resharpened wood cutting tools it is the same idea just different clearances and angles. There is an edge that cuts. For what I do high speed works for most of my machining. I will use carbide for hardened steel. Good luck and most of all have fun. It doesn’t matter what you have for a lathe. I have seen some nice work from members here come off the old Atlas lathe and the small Chinese lathes.

Back