I have a Phase II endmill sharpener, anyone use it, have it?

Well, let me start by saying you don't "need" any type of rest. For years I ground my bits totally free hand. I still do for simple turning, boring, etc. type tools. I can have the bit completely sharpened in the time I set up the fixture for the first side!

But, for things like acme threading tools, grooving tools that you want an exact size and other special tools a fixture sure makes things a lot easier.

So, the answer to your question is sure, that type will work... but the Harold Hall (HH) fixture is adjustable in three axis/planes and has a graduated dial adjustment for travel measurement in two planes. This is very nice if you want to hit an exact size. Imagine using your lathe or mill with no dials on it and you just fed things in my hand... Yes, it can be done, it's just not as convenient.

So, is it more complicated than it needs to be? I would say no. It was designed to be a precision fixture for grinding a multitude of cutters using different work holding devices. It is actually very elegant and does a great job!

The one you posted would not easily allow you to set the correct cutter heights and angles for using the fixtures i.e. the end mill side sharpening fixture and others. Plus, it only angles in two planes and slides in one plane. The HH gives you all the movements needed for proper setups with three working planes and two fine adjustment screw slides for adjusting depths of cut. The sliding motion for sharpening is simply sliding the work holding device against a fixed member on the fixture. HH has many videos on his website using his fixtures. See here: http://www.homews.co.uk/page617a.html I think once you see how to use it, it will be easier for you to see the advantages of this type of fixture over the one you posted.

It HH fixture is a fun project and something that is very useful once you have it.

Ted

Thanks again. I did notice that the one I mentioned is only adjustable in two axis including the fence vs. the HH fixture. I figured for most things I grind 2 axis will do fine. However, the simple version of HH design isn't too complicated except cutting the inside dove tail requiring a dove tail cutter so may be I'll tackle that as a weekend project.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The simple fixture doesn't use a dovetail. Only the advanced one uses a dovetail. The simple one does require a ball. I turned one with my radius turning fixture, but you can buy one the correct size if needed.

Ted

Back