I have a Phase II endmill sharpener, anyone use it, have it?

I have one that's similar... mine is a Yuasa. Does a great job at sharpening the sides of end mills. I use it on my surface grinder with a cup wheel.

Ted

I couldn't find a video on how it's used and if it can be used with just a bench grinder? Also as you sharpen the edges does it reduce the diameter of the endmill ever so slightly?

I couldn't find a video on how it's used and if it can be used with just a bench grinder? Also as you sharpen the edges does it reduce the diameter of the endmill ever so slightly?
I don't have a endmill sharpener,but yes I think it would reduce the OD of the mill.

yes when you side grind the flutes the o.d. gets smaller. it is not much of a problem with manual mills but the cnc operators hate regrinds with a passion. all most all my end mills are regrinds. why ? because they were free.

Exactly, CNC is what I was wondering about when I asked the question.

Still curious how to use this type of a grinder with a bench grinder...but sounds like I should put it on ebay.

Here's one video.
Starts at around 9:45 but the whole video is nice to watch.

Yep, it reduces the diameter. How much? Depends on how much you need to take off to get is sharp again. It's better to touch them up when they just start getting dull rather than beat the tar out of them and have to take a lot off.

It's nice to have a healthy selection of undersize end mills for manual machines. I use more re-sharpened ones than new/full size ones.

I'm sure you could come up with a way to use one on a regular bench type grinder, but you'll have to be a little creative. Very doable... You can even mount cup wheels on bench grinders if you make the proper wheel adapter. I've done it and use my Harold Hall designed fixture with that setup.

I also have a cheap fixture for sharpening the ends of end mills on my surface grinder with a regular wheel. Between the two devices I can sharpen both the ends and sides quite well.

I have a little experience with CNC mills and I think with the proper tool offset value they work fine. But using them would not be as "nice" and quick like full sized ones would be. The machines I used to run were worn and you needed an offset for even new cutters. Someone working in a shop with perfect running equipment I'm sure would have a different opinion about their use.

Ted

@Technical Ted thanks for that video link and the info.

I'd consider myself a newbie to grinding, at least as it relates to machining. I've seen Harold's grinding fixture mentioned before. Do you find it useful around the shop? Also, is his book on grinding a worthwhile reading/purchase?

@Technical Ted thanks for that video link and the info.

I'd consider myself a newbie to grinding, at least as it relates to machining. I've seen Harold's grinding fixture mentioned before. Do you find it useful around the shop? Also, is his book on grinding a worthwhile reading/purchase?

I actually built both of Harold's grinding fixtures: his simple one: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/harold-hall-simple-grinding-rest.62808/
and the advanced one: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/harold-hall-advanced-grinding-rest.65808/

While making the simple one I also made the end mill sharpening fixture. It worked very well, but was limited in the size of the end mill I could sharpen. I think the largest one I did was 1/2".

His books are VERY inexpensive and informative. Yes they are worth buying. Both builds were fun projects. If I was to do it over again, I would only make the advanced one since it was much easier to setup and use. But, the simple one work well also and was a fun project.

If it were me, I would DEFINITELY keep that fixture and learn how to use it. Tool grinding can be learned by watching videos, reading and asking questions. It's a very useful skill to have, especially for hobbyist. I'm not sure if you are a hobbyist or professional (or both) but either way the skill is sure to help you.

I suggest you download and study this book on tool room grinding by Norton grinding company. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1834/6637.pdf This is the book Steve Summers is using to set the tool height in the video I posted a link to above.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

Ted

@Technical Ted you've been full of great info. I've bookmarked the Norton book.

Funny, I just realized reading your other thread that I already have the plans since I own both his milling and lathe books and the former has the plans.

However, I think (and correct me if I'm completely wrong here) the tool rest itself (not the accessories) seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be for most things? Personally I've been meaning to build a simpler version like this: http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/tools/grindingrest/grindingrest.htm

Back