HSS Tool Stock, Ground for Cutting Glass?

Those bottle cutters work pretty good . I use one down the basement .
Bottle project is temporarily on the back burner. I pulled the trigger on a bottle cutter kit on Amazon, arriving Thursday evening. Meanwhile I will be busy with the honeydew list so I have an excuse to not deliver the finished glasses like yesterday.

Mine just arrived courtesy of amazon. No little hammer thingie. Got water heating on the stove to do the first scored bottle which is in the freezer. Too bad I don't have a chuck that will hold a bottle, I could polish the cut edge on the lathe.

Plunge it quick, right up to the score line. No splashing!
Silicone carbide wet/dry paper, using water on a flat surface. Then ease the edges.
The hot/cold trick will often snap a bottle clean w/o the score line. Bottles with too much variation in thickness have problems breaking evenly.

It is mean, thoughtless and rude to go this far in the thread and not post your favorite mojito recipe. :)

It is mean, thoughtless and rude to go this far in the thread and not post your favorite mojito recipe. :)
Lightly muddle 5 fresh mint leaves in a little simple syrup or fresh cane juice or Steen's cane syrup or a sugar cube and a few drops of rum or a half tsp of turbinado (less refined, more tasty than white sugar) sugar until aromatic, Add 2oz rum and 1oz fresh squeeze lime juice, and some crushed ice. Shake briefly. Pour into tall glass, garnish with lime wedge and mint sprig if desired, and top up with Topo Chico if too much room is left in glass or you want more thirst quenching than mind expanding effect.

Last edited:
Lightly muddle 5 fresh mint leaves in a little simple syrup or fresh cane juice or Steen's cane syrup or a sugar cube and a few drops of rum or a half tsp of turbinado (less refined, more tasty than white sugar) sugar until aromatic, Add 2oz rum and 1oz fresh squeeze lime juice, and some crushed ice. Shake briefly. Pour into tall glass, garnish with lime wedge and mint sprig if desired, and top up with Topo Chico if too much room is left in glass or you want more thirst quenching than mind expanding effect.
I also muddle some of the lime in the glass, after I've squeezed out the juice. It releases more of the lime oil. Haven't tried Topo Chico, we just use plain carbonated water.

Our mint patch is just around the corner from our kitchen. Within easy crawl reach.

Back