HSS Tool Stock, Ground for Cutting Glass?

Growley Monster

Registered
Registered
I have some Topo Chico bottles that the wife wants me to turn into Mojito glasses and I am thinking use a piece of HSS to make a cutter to score the bottles. Any suggestions on exactly how to grind the tool? Yeah I know... on a (bah-dum, TISH!) bench grinder. I mean the angles, radius, etc.

Don’t forget to eliminate the sharp edges after cutting the bottles. Also, before trying on your wife’s bottles, do several test runs!

Glass cutters are cheap, so is string soaked in flammable liquid.....
Propane torch to soften the edge,
You are correct, of course, but I can grind a piece of steel without leaving the house. I don't feel like trying to shop today or tomorrow, or wait for amazon. The flaming string isn't really how I like to roll. But yeah figuring on trying to flame polish the edges or else use a rag wheel and diamond paste, which would preserve the label.

Don’t forget to eliminate the sharp edges after cutting the bottles. Also, before trying on your wife’s bottles, do several test runs!
We have cases of Topo Chico so plenty of bottles, and we only need a half dozen glasses, for when we have company, for Mojitos and maybe Mint Juleps on Kentucky Derby day. If I mess up the first half dozen or so it's all good.

All you need is a point sharp enough to create a continuous line of defects on the surface of the glass. The smaller the included angle, the less-robust the scribe will be -- but, hey, you clearly have a grinder to touch up the point.

The standard glass cutter is a little roller so it sort of has a fair amount of negative rake. And due to its small width it probably has a pretty small included angle. I think it works by just concentrating a lot of pressure on the glass so it fractures along the path you are cutting. So I'd suggest a grind that produces a pretty small included angle, and a generous amount of negative rake so the pressure from your tool fractures the glass, rather than scratching it.

The fixture you use to hold the bottle in place while you turn it probably is important in this situation, since your scribing tool can't rotate. The roller on a real glass cutter can't exert any tangential force on the glass, it's all perpendicular to the glass surface. You won't be able to achieve that with a ground HSS scriber.

An alternative would be to make something similar to a standard glass cutter, if you happen to have some air or oil hardening stock on hand. It wouldn't have to be all that thin, just drill a center hole through it, turn down a nice edge on the radius, harden it, hone it and mount it in something that permits it to spin.

I first came across mojitos in Cuba. Made with fresh-squeezed cane juice. So good!

All you need is a point sharp enough to create a continuous line of defects on the surface of the glass. The smaller the included angle, the less-robust the scribe will be -- but, hey, you clearly have a grinder to touch up the point.

The standard glass cutter is a little roller so it sort of has a fair amount of negative rake. And due to its small width it probably has a pretty small included angle. I think it works by just concentrating a lot of pressure on the glass so it fractures along the path you are cutting. So I'd suggest a grind that produces a pretty small included angle, and a generous amount of negative rake so the pressure from your tool fractures the glass, rather than scratching it.

The fixture you use to hold the bottle in place while you turn it probably is important in this situation, since your scribing tool can't rotate. The roller on a real glass cutter can't exert any tangential force on the glass, it's all perpendicular to the glass surface. You won't be able to achieve that with a ground HSS scriber.

An alternative would be to make something similar to a standard glass cutter, if you happen to have some air or oil hardening stock on hand. It wouldn't have to be all that thin, just drill a center hole through it, turn down a nice edge on the radius, harden it, hone it and mount it in something that permits it to spin.

I first came across mojitos in Cuba. Made with fresh-squeezed cane juice. So good!
Thanks for a very useful reply! What you say makes perfect sense. I might do a little experimenting tomorrow with small incl angle, high neg rake points.

My first Mojito(s) happened in Panama. They were 75c each and I got pretty schnockered on them. Delicious beverage. Nourishing, too, I am sure.

Back in the day, they sold a bottle cutter.

Had a rubber cone that went into the top, then aluminum adjustable frame to hold the cutter.

You rotated it around the bottle.

It then had bent rod with ad adjustable pivot that you stuck inside and gently tapped along the scratch to cause it to Crack and come apart

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Oh yeah I remember them. I could use one right now. Well, I thought I was gonna cut bottles today but I don't know, Mrs. Monster has things for me to do. Never retire! You will never get a day off again!

Oh yeah I remember them. I could use one right now. Well, I thought I was gonna cut bottles today but I don't know, Mrs. Monster has things for me to do. Never retire! You will never get a day off again!
Those bottle cutters work pretty good . I use one down the basement .

Back