How Many Have a Working Quill Feed?

CJ5Dave

Registered
Registered
How many of you have a Bridgeport or clone with a working power quill feed? And if so, how often do you use it? I have spent maybe 50 hours on mine, several new parts, watched and tried every video trick, everything possible without pulling the head for a full tear down. Just not ready for that as everything else works, I have hardly used the mill, and I can’t imagine using that feature a lot. A friend who has worked in machine shops 40 years or more told me they rarely work right anyway.

Mine (Grizzly G9901) works great. I use it intermittently, but somewhat regularly. I've had a few minor issues with it over the years (adjustments or self-inflicted problems, nothing has ever broken). What is yours doing or not doing?

GsT

Mine works, but doesn't like to stay engaged. Can't remember the last time I used it.

At first did nothing. All the trip features locked up, broken or missing. Cleaned, freed up, adjusted clutch, replaced clutch, replaced spring in old clutch. Now it works but slips. Main issue right now is slack in shaft, not fully engaging pawl. I think it is missing a washer as the snap ring was gone when I got it. I made a spacer washer today but sanded it too thin. I think that will be an unused feature.

I was just watching a YouTube video on a power feed and wondered if my Lagun has one. Timely topic………..

At first did nothing. All the trip features locked up, broken or missing. Cleaned, freed up, adjusted clutch, replaced clutch, replaced spring in old clutch. Now it works but slips. Main issue right now is slack in shaft, not fully engaging pawl. I think it is missing a washer as the snap ring was gone when I got it. I made a spacer washer today but sanded it too thin. I think that will be an unused feature.
Can you use a wavy or Belleville washer.

Yep, me too. It makes a good inprovement in finish, I find. I don't normally use it for drilling, can't really say why. Seems slower, I suppose.
Same here. For just about any other job, it's easier to raise the table.

Mine works, but doesn't like to stay engaged. Can't remember the last time I used it.
That sounds like either a weak spring in the <bar-on-a-stick thing that locks in to engage the power feed> or you have a quill DRO and the lower mounting screw is rubbing on the shaft that presses up to disengage said bar and therefore the power-feed.

GsT

Back