How do I Determine Condition of Used Kurt Vise

Thank you for all of the replies. There is a lot to be said for buying a new vice that will last me forever. Like they say "buy once cry once". I have some thinking to do.

Thanks Again
Roger L

Several years ago I bought an older used Kurt 6" from a guy on Craigslist. Seller wanted $80 (bargain of a lifetime!) and my timing must have been just right, so I got it.

It was gunked up like heck, but seemed good otherwise. Cleaned it up once I got it home, then bought a rebuild kit from Kurt. The kit was for newer models, so I couldn't use all the parts. But I got many (like the brush that surrounds the leadscrew and keeps swarf out of the nut) to fit well. Unfortunately, the vise was just too big for my round column mill. So I offered it for sale on Craigs (for $300). Mentioned why I was selling it. It got snapped up within a day, and the buyer seemed pretty satisfied.

I do appreciate your caution, Terry ... maybe I was just super lucky.

In reply to Roger, I'd be willing to go as far as to say that Kurt vises are so well built that all you really need to look for is visibly obvious damage and/or rough operation of the leadscrew. Others have given examples of some obvious flaws to look for. If it looks OK and works smoothly, I'd say "go for it!"
No question, bargains are out there. Eighty bucks? In your case It was almost worth buying it just to see if it's any good. Unless I missed it, Roger never told us what he'd have to pay to get the vise. If it's cheap enough AND seems good, maybe it's a no-brainer.

Bottom line is 'just be careful'.

Regards,
Terry

The vise is a Kurt D675 and the person is asking $340 for it. If it looked good I was going to offer $300. The vise is not a bargain by no means.

Roger L

Back