How do I Determine Condition of Used Kurt Vise

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I am thinking about buying a used Kurt D675 Vise. Is there any way to determine if the vise is worn beyond repair? I see on the Kurt work holding web page you can buy rebuild kits for the vises. If I have the serial number is there any way to determine how old the vise is? Any information would be great.

Thanks
Roger L

Have you asked Kurt yet? I'm serious. If I had your question in mind, I would call Kurt.

I wish I had taken a picture of the Kurt vise I saw at a flea market a couple weeks ago. Externally it didn't look terrible. It had some peck marks in the jaws and a couple of marks where the cutter got too low and gouged the jaws. But when I opened the jaws the rails were gone for the first inch or so. It had to come out of school.

I contacted Kurt and a Kurt vise repair facility. Both places told me to make sure it clamps a part tight and opens and closes smoothly. If you feel any binding or slipping of the lead screw when tightening then there could be problems. If it looks to be in good shape with no cracks and it opens and closes smoothly and clamps tight you are good to go.

Thanks
Roger L

Move the moveable jaw so the vise is completely open. Then look at the vise surface if the bottom of the vise where you seat your parts is scored up or visible wear I wouldn’t buy it. Clamp a part in the vise and put a dial indicator on the part then tighten the vise. If the part moves a lot it could be wear in movable jaw bottom surface or top of seating area on vise. I think a rebuild kit consist of thrust bearings for leadscrew and half ground ball for moveable jaw. Not useful unless those parts are broke which they’re usually fine. You can tighten movement on moveable jaw by Allen on backside of jaw

Just buy a new one and be done with it. A Kurt vise is to good sell. So if you do see one for sale? It’s probably worn out/screwed up/out of square and that is why it’s for sale. I’m not saying a good used deal ain’t out there. Just not as often as the screwed up vise. And yeah, a new one comes with sticker shock! Wait for a sale.

I'm with @chips&more on this one. Unless you can set it on a surface plate and go at it with a surface/height gauge and a dial test indicator I would pass.

I generally agree with chips&more and Dan S - with one exception. If you found this vise as a stand-alone item for sale, likely it's better to stay away from it. I can't think of any good reason why an active individual or shop would want to sell a vise. Even if you upgrade to a heavier duty model, you can always find a use for having a second vise in the shop - and it doesn't cost you anything to keep it. If such a seller wants to unload the vise, there has to be a reason, and it's probably not a good one for the buyer. Under such circumstances, buy a new one. You won't regret it, and you'll keep it forever. That's what I did and I suspect the vast majority of others on this site.

HOWEVER, if the vise is being sold as part of a liquidation, that could be a totally different matter. For example, a shop goes (or is going) out of business - I bought a boat load of used tooling from a shop near me that was closing due to the owner retiring. Or a hobbyist loses interest or sells out for some other reason. Under such circumstances, it's quite likely that there would be nothing wrong with the vise. (But I'd still check it out pretty carefully.)

Regards,
Terry

Roger, whatever you do look at, be sure it is a decent vise. Kurt, Orange, Glacern are all top shelf. Almost all other imports are not. Given that everything you hold in the vise will either be accurately held or not accurately held, it is wise to buy a good vise. I chose to buy a new Kurt. With it comes a lifetime warranty; I am unsure if this warranty transfers with the vise if it is sold.

Hobby guys tend to go cheap. It is a hobby after all, right? However, at least in my opinion, the vise is not the place to go cheap.

I generally agree with chips&more and Dan S - with one exception. If you found this vise as a stand-alone item for sale, likely it's better to stay away from it. I can't think of any good reason why an active individual or shop would want to sell a vise
Several years ago I bought an older used Kurt 6" from a guy on Craigslist. Seller wanted $80 (bargain of a lifetime!) and my timing must have been just right, so I got it.

It was gunked up like heck, but seemed good otherwise. Cleaned it up once I got it home, then bought a rebuild kit from Kurt. The kit was for newer models, so I couldn't use all the parts. But I got many (like the brush that surrounds the leadscrew and keeps swarf out of the nut) to fit well. Unfortunately, the vise was just too big for my round column mill. So I offered it for sale on Craigs (for $300). Mentioned why I was selling it. It got snapped up within a day, and the buyer seemed pretty satisfied.

I do appreciate your caution, Terry ... maybe I was just super lucky.

In reply to Roger, I'd be willing to go as far as to say that Kurt vises are so well built that all you really need to look for is visibly obvious damage and/or rough operation of the leadscrew. Others have given examples of some obvious flaws to look for. If it looks OK and works smoothly, I'd say "go for it!"

Last edited:
Back