Hanging out at the Cancer center

I want to thank everyone for the kind responses! It is very reassuring to hear about all of the cancer survivors. Sometimes it seems quite overwhelming, especially for Alyona. She has stage 4 rectal cancer and they have given her about a 50/50 chance. She is getting daily radiation therapy and Capecitabine chemo therapy which is the same chemo therapy her mother had 4 years ago in Russia which wasn't effective.

She has many friend that are all trying to be supportive and help her keep a positive attitude. I just listen and do my best to validate her feeling even when she has a bit of despair. I figure that she has plenty of people cheering her up and sometimes she just needs someone to listen to how she is feeling.

She was a little surprised to start feeling some burning feelings from the radiation after only the first radiation treatment. She is receiving daily radiation and chemo therapy for the next 6 weeks which I understand to be a very intensive treatment as treatments go. After that they will give her a couple of weeks then a different chemo (only) treatment and possible surgery after that.

Thank you again for all the support!

I'm thinking of you both here.
Treatments get more effective every year as they target the different cancers better.
Radiation and chemo is never fun, she will need to lean on you.
You both have all my best wishes for recovery.
Brian

My trip, yesterday, to the urology center for follow up came out OK. No sign of cancer return. Interesting technology. Camera, lighting, liquid injection all shoved up a limp one. Can watch the monitor while it is being done.

I wish your wife the very best of health.
I don’t think I know anyone who has not been touched by cancer in one way or another, sad to say.
The power of a positive attitude is the most important factor for all involved.
Hang in there, this too shall pass.

I spread my best friend and neighbor ashes 1 year ago May 7th. I took him for all but 2 chemo and radiation treatments. The first one another friend took him and once the roads were so Icy our other neighbor took him. Walking on ice with a cane is pretty dangerous is the only I asked the neighbor to drive him. He had had cancer twice before. First time Lymphoma and second time in his nose and the last time it was in his esophagus. he toughed it out until the very end and one night about 7pm he asked me to come get him around 3 am to go to the ER. He knew it would be our last trip together. He knew I have already pre-arranged my own cremation so he asked me to take care of his also. And I did it for him. Before he was diagnosed he was over at my house every day sometimes as many as 3 times in one day. We were very close friends. I still talk to him. My other neighbor has his dog and he comes over every day to get his daily dog treat from me. He loved the dog and took him everywhere he went. Even though he lives next door he will not let the mail carrier out of the car to deliver my packages. He has always been super protective of me. I do hope your girlfriend has a full and speedy recovery.

I want to thank everyone for the kind responses! It is very reassuring to hear about all of the cancer survivors. Sometimes it seems quite overwhelming, especially for Alyona. She has stage 4 rectal cancer and they have given her about a 50/50 chance. She is getting daily radiation therapy and Capecitabine chemo therapy which is the same chemo therapy her mother had 4 years ago in Russia which wasn't effective.

She has many friend that are all trying to be supportive and help her keep a positive attitude. I just listen and do my best to validate her feeling even when she has a bit of despair. I figure that she has plenty of people cheering her up and sometimes she just needs someone to listen to how she is feeling.

She was a little surprised to start feeling some burning feelings from the radiation after only the first radiation treatment. She is receiving daily radiation and chemo therapy for the next 6 weeks which I understand to be a very intensive treatment as treatments go. After that they will give her a couple of weeks then a different chemo (only) treatment and possible surgery after that.

Thank you again for all the support!
Prayers out for you both. Hang in there!

Back