Hammer Drill Bits

@CJ5Dave

Whatever you do, limit yourself to 15 continuous minutes of use at a time, then have a break from it for 10 minutes whilst clearing out what you have broken up. Your wrists and arms will thank you.

I ordered 2 SDS plus chisels and one drill bit from Zoro. For some reason not eligible for my 10% off coupon. They do fit. Been needing that thing. Had a set up bag of Quik Crete I have tried to break for a while. Broke it into 100 pieces in about 5 minutes. Did make me hurt. For some reason my hip that the ladder fell out from under a few weeks back. Seems to have leaked some oil in the case. Not sure if you can add any.

Grifter, I just reread your post and saw the info about adding grease. My pin scanner. Anything else work? Maybe snap ring pliers?

I've found that the tool beats you up much less if you let it do the work. Concentrate on not leaning into it, letting it's weight rest straight down when possible and try to relax your arms. It's hard to do, because it goes against some subconscious desire to push and control, but it's much, much, easier on the body.

GsT

Grifter, I just reread your post and saw the info about adding grease. My pin scanner. Anything else work? Maybe snap ring pliers?

@CJ5Dave

Make a pin spanner from a piece of flat bar and two bolts/machine screws to suit the indents in the cap, or two screws through the bar with the tops ground flat in an emergency situation. Failing that, you can sometimes find an adjustable grinder pin-spanner that would suit.

Something like THIS ADJUSTABLE ANGLE GRINDER SPANNER (<<<link) **Might** suit, not saying it will as it depends on pin size. That link is just an example of the spanner type give you an idea of what they are.

To find the pin size, use the shank end of a twist drill. it is a fast, easy way to get a quick measure of pin size ;)

As for the grease, you want something that is not very mobile (Id Est, very thick). I, personally, have alwyas used graphite grease in mine and not seen any problems, though you can, of course, use other non-graphite grease and I would suggest that you check what was originally recommended.

Last edited:
Yes, it has a hammer only function and that’s all I want at the moment. Thanks. Need to chisel some concrete.

The label says rotary hammer? I think on the SDS there is a a lever for the rotary action vs hammer only? (My old Hilti is the old spline drive format where the rotary action depends on the configuration of the spline on the bit.)

If you have any decent sized piece of concrete that you need to break up I HIGHLY recommend renting or borrowing a full sized jack hammer.

I went at a 4' x 4' concrete pad with my old Hilti rotary hammer and made very little progress on it at all. A friend brought over his HF 120V jack hammer and it finished the job quite quickly.

P.S. There is also expanding hydraulic cement. You drill holes in the slab. Fill the holes with the expanding hydraulic cement. As the cement cures it expands and forces the concrete to crack apart.

Last edited:
Yes it does both drill/hammer and hammer only. I got the cap off and added wheel bearing grease, but it was pretty full.

The label says rotary hammer? I think on the SDS there is a a lever for the rotary action vs hammer only? (My old Hilti is the old spline drive format where the rotary action depends on the configuration of the spline on the bit.)

If you have any decent sized piece of concrete that you need to break up I HIGHLY recommend renting or borrowing a full sized jack hammer.

I went at a 4' x 4' concrete pad with my old Hilti rotary hammer and made very little progress on it at all. A friend brought over his HF 120V jack hammer and it finished the job quite quickly.

P.S. There is also expanding hydraulic cement. You drill holes in the slab. Fill the holes with the expanding hydraulic cement. As the cement cures it expands and forces the concrete to crack apart.
even wood wedges will do that.

Back