Hammer Drill Bits

CJ5Dave

Registered
Registered
I bought a Central Machinery electric hammer drill today at a yard sale. No chisels/bits for it. Not sure what it takes. The tool is labeled as a one inch drill but the hole in the end is about 0.40. Chisels for my air hammer fit in but won’t hold. Not sure what it is supposed to use. I don’t need it to drill, just chisel some concrete off some bridge rails. Anything like a steel rod work for this?

@CJ5Dave

Any photos?

More than one type of hammer drill (Standard hammer / heavy hammer / Rotary Hammer / Demolition hammer)

Last edited:
The bits/chisels I looked at have a flute in the back end. Maybe $50 for a set. I only gave $10 for the drill. IMG_0035.jpegIMG_0034.jpeg

Probably the same as for a Milwaukee. Just take it to the hardware store and try one out, I don’t think they have too many different styles and HF just tends to copy whatever’s popular.

John

@CJ5Dave

That is an SDS hammer, most likely SDS plus (difference is in the chuck). Push the chuck sleeve (ribbed bit) backwards to release the grip whilst you fit/remove the bits. Looks very similar to the one I own, although of different manufacture (mine is 23 years old already and still going strong as the day I purchased it!)

Drill sizes vary, but the SDS shank is the constant. If it states up to one inch capacity, then that is what it can drill.

It should have a rotary action and a non-rotary for "jack-hammer" style use (lever on the back). That yellow lid on the top (at the back) is (usuallly) for applying grease and should be opened with a pin spanner, which should be in the case..

You can also get chisels for them of various types if it has a non-rotary hammer action (pointed / flat / wide flat et-al)

Last edited:
Yes, it has a hammer only function and that’s all I want at the moment. Thanks. Need to chisel some concrete.

That's an old one. More'n likely it's plain old original "SDS", without the plussez and maxes. I don't even think Harbor Freight keeps those chisels any more. They're getting tuff to find as old stuff gets old and new stuff gets more and more powerful.

SDS Max is out because of dimensions. They're like 3/4 of an inch at the shank.

SDS plus and SDS are 3/8 of an inch. (OK, they're all metric but they're about that).
They're the same size but have different splines and it's not humanly possible to look inside the chuck and tell. (At least not this human....).

Google finds a cheezy online manuals site with a PDF (probably a rotten, smelly, disease ridden PDF because nothing is free.....) with your model number. Ublock didn't flag it so I'm putting it up, but if you dont' trust that kinda site, that manual calls out SDS, and doesn't mention SDS Plus.

Yes, it has a hammer only function and that’s all I want at the moment. Thanks. Need to chisel some concrete.

@CJ5Dave

If that is what you intend, do yourself a favour.... Fit and use the handle and cushion BOTH the handle AND the main grip. Having used mine without, I was sore for weeks. When I needed to do it again, I cushioned the handle and the grip and it made a HUGE difference. Not so sore and only for about a week.

As regards SDS differences, have a look at this website..

https://www.bridgefasteners.com/blogs/article/difference-between-sds-sds-plus-and-sds-max-drills
BTW, Whilst SDS Plus is an improvement on the original SDS system, it remains compatible with SDS bits, and is now the most commonly seen on the market. How that works

sds.png
(image screengrabbed from https://www.speedyfixings.com/sds-drill-bits-sds-max-and-sds-plus-what-are-the-differences/

Last edited:
Back