Grizzly Belt grinder for HSS bits..?

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello all...
I was thinking maybe this would be a good first grinder to shape HSS bits for my Lathe and Mill...? Its on sale so I thought I'd ask... I have watched a couple videos on it, Its hit or miss. I just figured with a couple mods this could be a decent bit grinder. thanks Mike.

Grizzly Belt Bit Grinder.jpg

I know nothing of that particular grinder, but can't see any reason that it wouldn't work for grinding HSS as long as you can keep it running.

GsT

It is the price of a good 8" bench grinder which makes it very appealing. About 1/3 the price of some other "budget" options that still require some tweaking.

I've got an 8" bench grinder that I have been using, but if I wasn't mentally committed to making my own belt grinder I'd probably get one.

It seems like worst case it makes a decent "parts kit". I've already got more invested in plans and materials to build my own.

I know nothing of that particular grinder, but can't see any reason that it wouldn't work for grinding HSS as long as you can keep it running.

GsT
Hello.

Its 3/4 hp, Mikey told me a long time ago - has to be more than 1/2"... lol lets hope its enough.

This belt grinder and a number of other options were pretty fully discussed in this thread:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/grinders-for-hss.113261/

There are also a number of videos on YT reviewing and presenting modifications; just search "Grizzly 2 x 42 belt grinder"
Hello, thanks for the link...

Yes Sir, watched a few videos on this, the guy with the giant file burnt the motor up, and others mod the crap out of them... I just figured if there was a new better option at $270.00 On Sale I better ask here first or face the wrath of the forum... :)

It is the price of a good 8" bench grinder which makes it very appealing. About 1/3 the price of some other "budget" options that still require some tweaking.

I've got an 8" bench grinder that I have been using, but if I wasn't mentally committed to making my own belt grinder I'd probably get one.

It seems like worst case it makes a decent "parts kit". I've already got more invested in plans and materials to build my own.
Hello you.

lol hella funny " Parts Kit " so True, I'll get it ordered now while its 30% off, Thanks.

Hello.

Its 3/4 hp, Mikey told me a long time ago - has to be more than 1/2"... lol lets hope its enough.
I have an old 6" Crafstman bench grinder, from back when you only bought that brand at Sears. I'm guessing I bought it around '87. It's 1/3 HP and has ground many HSS cutters without issue. These days it's relegated to wire brush and deburring wheel as I have many options for grinding HSS, but I wouldn't feel like it was in any way inadequate if it was all I had to grind HSS.

GsT

ETA: the bench grinder I use today is 3/4 HP... I use it for finishing an HSS cutter, doing my roughing on a belt grinder. I also have a lathe tool grinding attachment for my single-lip cutter grinder, but I've never used it because it's always been more convenient to just flip on one of my other grinders. Guess I'm waiting for the time I need that precision.

Hello, thanks for the link...

Yes Sir, watched a few videos on this, the guy with the giant file burnt the motor up, and others mod the crap out of them... I just figured if there was a new better option at $270.00 On Sale I better ask here first or face the wrath of the forum...

You’re welcome, but don’t call me “Sir.”

Yes, I saw how the one dude abused the machine; also saw others who were relatively happy with it. And the mods that others made are some of the same mods made to $1,000+ 2x72 grinders.

FWIW, as I said in the other thread, if I could find a place to put it I would have ordered it, so based on my investigation I would recommend getting one.

That said, I mostly use T-15 HSS and carbide inserts and a Diamond tool holder; other than grinding the end of the HSS & Crobalt bits for the Diamond holder and the ends of HSS cut-off blades, the only HSS bits I grind are for specific purposes, and not many of those. For starting out, a decent 6” or 8” bench grinder will get you started for a lot less.

Oh, other than occasional D-bit tools, it will be a long time before you grind anything for a mill, you will get a tool grinder for that.

Keep asking!

I have an old 6" Crafstman bench grinder, from back when you only bought that brand at Sears. I'm guessing I bought it around '87. It's 1/3 HP and has ground many HSS cutters without issue. These days it's relegated to wire brush and deburring wheel as I have many options for grinding HSS, but I wouldn't feel like it was in any way inadequate if it was all I had to grind HSS.

GsT

ETA: the bench grinder I use today is 3/4 HP... I use it for finishing an HSS cutter, doing my roughing on a belt grinder. I also have a lathe tool grinding attachment for my single-lip cutter grinder, but I've never used it because it's always been more convenient to just flip on one of my other grinders. Guess I'm waiting for the time I need that precision.
Hi.
lol, I got my first craftsman 1/4 hp grinder when I was a kid, came with that cheesy drill guide attachment. Them were the days...

One day ill get one of those VS 8" grinders with CBN wheels, but this is a great sale price - So I kind of want to snag it.

Mike.

Seriously, check out that Grizzly H7762 grinder. If I would have seen them before I purchased my 8” bench grinder,
it’s what I would have bought to grind my HSS with. It would make setting the angles & achieving a good grind damn near effortless (compared to a regular bench grinder).
I’m still going to get one, but it’s not happening tomorrow or anything like that.

I just thought I would mention it.

Back