FYI

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just wanted to share this with those who have the 4x6 horizontal band saws. I have been having trouble with getting my saw to cut square. It kept walking to the inside of the cut on the down position. Also the blade was coming off while cutting. I replaced the blade with the following blade. I made absolutely Zero adjustments to the saw just put the new blade on. And made several cuts thru 1" pipe and 1/2 x 3" plate. Checked all cuts with my Brown and Sharpe combination square and all were dead on square. Hope this helps anyone with the same saw. Notice it is a skip tooth blade.

S6412121418SS M42 64-1/2" Long, 1/2" Wide, 0.025" Thick, 14/18 TPI, Variable Teeth, Bi-Metal Bandsaw Blades for Cutting Stainless Steel, Hard Metal, SS​

Bi-metal is also a key bit! Carbon steel cutting edges kinda suck... unless you are looking at really fine pitch and consider it disposable!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Just wanted to share this with those who have the 4x6 horizontal band saws. I have been having trouble with getting my saw to cut square. It kept walking to the inside of the cut on the down position. Also the blade was coming off while cutting. I replaced the blade with the following blade. I made absolutely Zero adjustments to the saw just put the new blade on. And made several cuts thru 1" pipe and 1/2 x 3" plate. Checked all cuts with my Brown and Sharpe combination square and all were dead on square. Hope this helps anyone with the same saw. Notice it is a skip tooth blade.

S6412121418SS M42 64-1/2" Long, 1/2" Wide, 0.025" Thick, 14/18 TPI, Variable Teeth, Bi-Metal Bandsaw Blades for Cutting Stainless Steel, Hard Metal, SS​

My blade keeps falling off my 4x6. The cuts aren't that square either. Oh yeah, the blade is a pain to install. I don't use it unless I'm desperate. Would be nice to get the saw back in service though.

So where did you buy this blade?

My blade keeps falling off my 4x6. The cuts aren't that square either. Oh yeah, the blade is a pain to install. I don't use it unless I'm desperate. Would be nice to get the saw back in service though.

So where did you buy this blade?
Amazon

I've had the same troubles but a good blade didn't fix the problem. Lots of fiddling was the answer. Then I had a good blade slip past the bearing that the spine of the blade rides on. It permanently deformed the blade and I ended up cutting potato chips until I purchased another blade. Then it happened to the next blade. More fiddling. Cuts straight for the moment.

I have been using those blades from Amazon for several years now.I didn't have a problem with cutting square but I did have my previous blades coming off the track. Previously, I had picked up carbon steel blades at the local DIY or farm supply store.

I have been using those blades from Amazon for several years now.I didn't have a problem with cutting square but I did have my previous blades coming off the track. Previously, I had picked up carbon steel blades at the local DIY or farm supply store.
I used to buy the $6 blades at HF You get what you pay for. I would much have a good blade so I am not guessing at how long I need so I can mill 1/4 inch off just to clean it up. 3/32 to 1/8 should more than enuff fudge.

My saw needed to have the wheels trued up (egg shaped), and the face beveled (was folding the tooth offset back flat and that made some really nice curved cuts).

My only hassle is the sloppy adjustment for depth and "Z" angle. Can't hardly set one without screwing up the other.

I get my blades from ZORO.com - Grainger lite. I am pretty sure it is the Morse brand.

Thanks for the tip. I've been buying the bi-metal blades from HF. Seem to work ok for a while. Took me quite a while to get the cuts 'square'. Recently I inadvertently opened the vise on a 5 ft section of 2" PVC that hadn't cut all the way through - I forgot to hold the pipe, and it dropped down, bending the blade, so time to get another... (and get saw cutting square again. ugh)

Back